Old fuel question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

georgebj60

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm am in the process of swapping a 2H/H55F drivetrain into an FJ60. I haven't run the engine in 2 years now, and realistically I won't have it in a state that it can be run for another 4-5 months. Yes, a snail's pace would be speedy compared to how fast my project is going.

Anyway, I'm now wondering if I should be concerned about the diesel sitting in the injector pump for that long. Will it get old and gummy? Prior to starting the project the truck was run regularly, so the fuel was fresh when it was taken out of commission.

Thoughts?

Here are some pics for fun...

IMG_20190617_164554.jpg

IMG_20190901_175431.jpg

IMG_20190901_182444.jpg

No problem, diesel does not loose combustion capacity like gasoline.

Yeah a few years is fine, its when you are doing 10years plus or its stored outside that you have to worry about possibly draining things. just make sure to clean out the filters

I've seen fuel racks in 2Hs gum up after being left sitting for a long time (multiple years).. the pump is definitely best left full but occasionally you should push the fuel control lever fully forward (to the stop) position and let it return again a few times.

I've seen fuel racks in 2Hs gum up after being left sitting for a long time (multiple years).. the pump is definitely best left full but occasionally you should push the fuel control lever fully forward (to the stop) position and let it return again a few times.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to look into the above recommendation to figure out how to do it, and give it a go.

Your EDIC rod is still fitted so the fuel control lever should be in the STOP position. You can pop the EDIC rod off and move it back and forth between overfuel and stop.. this will keep the rail from gumming up - but its if its ok now.. another 12months is not going to do anything bad..

For your interest these are the 3 positions of the Fuel Control Lever.

1569447984127.png

Will it get old and gummy?
Eventually it will,but if it is kept full it will be ok for a long time. I had a 1HZ I bought for $500 that had a fuel pump attached. It had dried diesel in it and I had to pay some to strip and clean the pump. I would run some fuel cleaner through it when the engine is ready to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom