Old Emu caster correction install. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I live in metro area Washington DC. I bought a old emu 3" lift kit which I installed myself with some friends. Everything was ok until I bought a set of tires 285/70/17 hankook's, after installed on the truck, I started to feel some trouble on my steering, so My question is:

Does anybody know a good garage to change the caster correction bushing in the area? (already have then)

I have talked to some people, but the seen either they do not know what to do, or they do not have the tool to change then.

Thanks for your help.

Do you need a special tool to install those?:confused:

Call Cam at IPOR. They're in Fredericksburg but it's worth the trip down to start a relationship with those guys if you're going to do anything else to your truck. They installed my 860/850 OME kit as well as the caster correction bushings. They might actually still have the bushing tool I left with them. Since they're aluminum they only last about 3-4 installs. If you take it anywhere else I recommend getting the press tool from Slee ($25) and Landtank's template ($10) then find a shop with a 40 (or more) ton press.

-Patrick

Last edited:
40 ton press !!???

Eeaash, there goes my idea of smacking them in with a hammer :rolleyes::D

40 ton press !!???

Eeaash, there goes my idea of smacking them in with a hammer :rolleyes::D

Zero chance of getting them out with a hammer.

I think Vince at IPOR used their 20 ton press but 2 of the 4 bushings "popped" when they released. Sounded like a .45 going off in the shop. The other 2 pressed out smoothly. My truck only has 102k miles so if yours has more then they'll probably need even more effort.

-Patrick

I've done 3 sets of CC bushings and 1 set of OEM rubber bushings in my garage. You can forget the hammer idea. I have a 20 ton press and still, on one bushing, I had to torch the arm a little to get it to let loose.
Popping new ones in with a hammer ain't gonna cut it either. Just my experience.

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the info. I have heard about these guys at Frederickburg. I finally think I am going to call then to make an appoiment.

Thanks again
JB

i've done bushings 3 time on my arms...2* OME, 3* F.O.R., and some OEM now with LT plates. wish i'd done this from the get go. IPOR, bought a bumper from them once.... told the bumper was pre-assembled. BS! swing arm was off and who ever was doing the welding didn't use the jig properly. Sadly, i think they can produce a good product. my experience sucked..... not to mention the delivery was a few months off. i sold it, cut my crossmember and bought a 4x4 labs rear, delivered in a month. nice.

a little off topic.... but whatever lift u have CC is a good idea. finding a press and doing it right shouldn't be a big deal.
i'm new to all this LC stuff, but as i'm sorting my truck i've found some getting slammed for taking new directions. the attacks on anyone entering the market... personally i find it weak. i've had OME J's and my current ride is light years better load bearing or not
....looking forward to Moab myself

Last edited:
actually used the tool today to put OME bushings into Lances FZJ 40.

a press is a must(as stated by others)

good luck calling........email works best. we are very busy right now.

NOT too busy to do the bushings for you though!!!

sucks to hear about the bad dealing on the bumper.

Just after fitting castor bushes and you will need a press.
castor correction bushes 001.jpg
castor correction bushes 003.jpg
castor correction bushes 005.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom