Old Cell Phone Antenna! Hole In Glass??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
youtube.com
Hey Guys

As i am still going through and cleaning and fixing everything on my rig, i just got done removing all of this ridiculous amounts of wiring for this old school cell phone that the PO had.

I came to the windshield antenna and it appears it may be actually going through the glass on the windshield. The 2 pieces (one on the inside and one of the outside) appear to be stuck on with some seriously sticky glue. A friend of mine says there is a small hole in the winshield with a wire running through it. Anyone know anything about these things? Is that how they work? Seems logical. I dont want to try to remove these and have a hole in my windshield, or even worse, risk spidering the windshield and needing a new one. As of now, there is no leaks or anything, but i would really like to remove it.

Any ideas?

Here are the pics

windshieldant.jpg

and
windshieldant1.jpg

Thanks

No hole. It works through the glass, you stick part A on the inside and part B on the outside to match, both parts usually have some form of paper-backed double stick tape.

To remove, I would heat it up a bit to try and soften the glue then try to rotate the piece or cut through the double stick tape with a single-edged razor. Do not try to pry it off or you WILL have a hole in the glass. Of course, the PO may have also decided to use super glue to really make it strong, in which case you will need some glue remover. Good luck.

Back when car phones were first available, these outside antennas were a status symbol, they even sold fake ones as ornaments. If you have a fixed base inside and can get an antenna for the outside, you can get excellent range out of these external antennas.

santiagol said:
No hole. It works through the glass, you stick part A on the inside and part B on the outside to match, both parts usually have some form of paper-backed double stick tape.

To remove, I would heat it up a bit to try and soften the glue then try to rotate the piece or cut through the double stick tape with a single-edged razor. Do not try to pry it off or you WILL have a hole in the glass.
Yep no hole. I used to have those samething mounted on my '95 Supra TT that thing b*&ch to remove it, use heatgun then rotate the metal piece you should be able to get 'em off.

yep - I too had (2) of these buggers on the rear tailgate glass. I removed all of the wiring from the phone and threw it all in the trash (along with the phone and associated pieces).

To remove the rear antenna holders, I used a straight edge razor balde, and just carefully kept "edging" underneath of the parts stuck to the glass. Once I was able to pull on the loose parts, they came off without any issues. On the outside of the glass, once those parts were removed, I just used the razor blade to finish getting off the glue off of the glass. on the INSIDE of the glass, since it was the rear window and the defroster grid lines are there, I had to use "Goof Off" that removes any sitcky substance, then had to clean the glass thouroughly to get rid of the "Goof Off".

You do NOT want to try and pry up or under those parts with any type of solid metal object (screw driver, paint scraper, etc), because on false move and you can potentially shatter or break the glass... Just keep going around the part, underneath of it to break the sealing substance loose.

I don't know the styles of antenna's, but some did have a hole. I would remove the inside piece first and that way if there is a hole at least the outside piece covers it.

santiagol said:
If you have a fixed base inside and can get an antenna for the outside, you can get excellent range out of these external antennas.

I will give you the entire system for free + shipping! :D

I used to install these things as a part-time job on my days off, along with 2-way mobile radio systems. By far they're the worst kind of external antenna to have, but they will increase the range versus an inside the cab antenna. If you've got a cell phone that has a mobile adapter kit, you can get the correct connecter and still use it for far better range (course, you'd have to install it again!)

Eddie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom