Builds Old Blue Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got word from chapelgate that my 1HDT is shipping out on the 27th of this month! Yay! Looks like it should show up just before Christmas.

Last edited:
Got out in the shop for a little bit this evening. Mission? Remove under seat toolbox. Got it out after a little bit of persuasion from the cutoff wheel. As typical, there was a shoddy repair at some point. Glad to get rid of that.

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1723.jpg

IMG_1724.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_1726.jpg

Decided to go out and do a little more before stopping for the night. Got most of the driver side floor out. Still have to do a bunch of edge cleanup before I'm ready to start fitting the new piece.

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1731.jpg

A little progress this evening... It took forever to clean up the edges in order to fit everything in. Years of rust, rot, and undercoating needed to come out in order to get a decent fit that will weld up okay. Slow and steady wins the race.

IMG_1738.jpg

IMG_1739.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

Spent the afternoon chasing rust. What a PITA! Not my best work, but it won't show, being behind the under seat toolbox.

IMG_1733.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1758.jpg

Driver side floor pan welded in. The glare from the light makes it look horrible on the transmission side. Also, as shown in the pics above, I had to leave the area bordering the transmission hole because the new floor pan just had a raw edge that did not contour the existing floor.

IMG_1770.jpg

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1772.jpg

Good work sir! I just found your thread and will be following along. Do you have the parts to repair or replace the heater? I think I have a correct spare. What are your plans for the SBC?

Good work sir! I just found your thread and will be following along. Do you have the parts to repair or replace the heater? I think I have a correct spare. What are your plans for the SBC?

thanks! I don’t have the parts for the heater. I just have a heater out of my 78 that’s pretty roached out. I won’t be putting a heater in the rear. Just one in the front. I’ve sold the small block Chevrolet to a friend of mine.

After a long day of work on this Wednesday, I decided to take a break from it over the holiday weekend. Now I'm back at it, and got just a little accomplished this evening. With the driver's side lacking only a little finish work, I decided to start on the passenger side. Got my bad floor section cut out, and removed. Kind of a pain removing the section that was spot-welded to the support channel, but it finally gave up after some persuasion. Cut my new panel to fit, and trimmed a few additional places to get it in. That's about all the time I had, so I shut it down for the night. Didn't get the new panel welded in yet, but there's always tomorrow.

IMG_1778.jpg

IMG_1779.jpg

IMG_1781.jpg

IMG_1782.jpg

IMG_1783.jpg

Back at it this evening. Had to do a little repair just forward of the panel I'm currently putting in. Here are a few before and after shots.

IMG_1786.jpg

IMG_1788.jpg

IMG_1789.jpg

Man, I don't know if I'll ever import another engine for something like this. I've imported a few non-automotive things in the past, and it wasn't too much trouble or money. This was an absolute PITA, and customs/cargo company just hit me up for over $1200 in fees.

Last edited:
1HDT. It was shipped through Troy Container Lines.

My original plan for the transmission/transfer case, was to go with an H55F/Split Case Combo. However, after pricing that out the other day, I'm considering alternate plans. I priced it out on Cruiser Outfitters' website, and for what I wanted, it was nearly $8000. It was $50 alone just for the transmission ship knob. Well, that's just not going to happen for me for a transmission/t-case setup. I'm open to other options if anyone has any suggestions. I was wanting to go with a 4:1 t-case, but I'm sure I don't necessarily need it to be that low for what I will be using it for. I just really liked that ratio on my Samurai.
On a side note. My 1HDT should be arriving tomorrow. I'm going to stash it in a pallet rack at work until I'm ready for it. I'll try to take a picture or two.

I would suggest getting a price for the H55 and t case from your local Toyota dealership.

I thought about that, but I’m really not familiar with these, and as I understand it, you have to open the y-case in order to put them together. (hence the term split-case)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom