Builds Old Blue Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

suzuguru

SILVER Star
Threads
I suppose I should start a single thread following the slow build of my 1972 FJ40, lovingly known as "Old Blue". I've 'built' a few Samurais and Toyota Trucks in years past, but this will be my first LC build. I've learned to take things nice and slow because plans have a tendency to change with time and wisdom. So, this is sure to be a slow venture with periods of rapid progress, followed by periods of radio silence. I'm not looking to do a complete frame-off restoration that looks factory new. I'm just wanting to build a nice solid FJ, the way I want to build it. Mainly a weekend cruiser (no pun intended) that I can take out to eat with the wife on Friday nights, to local car shows, or down a mountain trail if the mood strikes.

I plan to remove the small block currently residing in the engine bay, and replace it with a 1HDT that I've already purchased from forum member "Chapel Gate". I plan on backing that up with an H55f/split case that I have yet to purchase. I'm hoping to purchase them as a combo with lower t-case gears and a t-case mounted e-brake. Planning on running front and rear disc brakes, power steering, and 32" x 9.50" tires.

Here it is the day I brought it home...

IMG_0882.jpg

20220912_114535.jpg

Last edited:
Since I'm removing the small block and the 3" body lift, I decided to remove the entire exhaust system today. Headers aren't pictured, but I yanked those also.

IMG_1555.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be separating the tub from the frame, so I'm in the market for a body bushing kit. Anyone have any reasons why I shouldn't buy the one listed below? Any better suggestions?

I also found a "firm" body mount kit from Specter Off Road that is supposed to be the same 'firmness' of OEM mounts. I think that kit is $230, though.

EDIT: After reading a thread I found on here, I ordered the Energy Suspension from JT Outfitters.

Last edited:
Didn't do much on the old girl today. Just removed the skid pan and front driveshaft in preparation for removing the engine/trans/t-case. Also vacuumed a bunch of much out from underneath the body.

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

Got a few things done this afternoon/evening. Started by removing the winch. Then I cut the ends off of that ugly bumper. I'm sure I'll end up removing the rest of it, but some buffoon welded it on where you can't get to it easily. I then removed everything that would keep me from removing the fenders and side aprons. That 50 year old wiring and everything that has been added since, is a pain. It could be worse, I suppose. Pics aren't great, but here are a few.

IMG_1565.2.jpg

IMG_1566.2.jpg

IMG_1575.2.jpg

IMG_1576.2.jpg

Little more work done this evening. Removed the fenders, bibb/grill, radiator support, and radiator. I know... my shop is a mess. I'm going to clean it up... I promise.

IMG_1579.jpg

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

I have a question that isn't worth starting a thread for... What year tops are compatible with a '72 model FJ40? The second part of my question is... What about just the roof portion? Would a roof from a '78 fit on the hardtop sides of a '72? I've got a damaged place in the rear corner of my roof, and there's a local guy that has one from a '78. I just don't know if it will fit. Actually, if I can ever find a roof for an FJ45, I would really like to do something like what's in the picture below. Although, it looks like they've chopped the top, and I don't really want to go that route.

312601552_10226573417508954_4473466427522964299_n.jpg

Ordered the full-floating axle assembly for the rear, and also a set of used solid steel wheels that are the disc brake type. Removed the rear driveshaft and various small components like the steering damper. Sorry... no pics today.

Last edited:
Been busy doing at least something everyday on the old girl. Just nothing interesting enough to post pics. Been removing needless wiring, and anything that would keep me from pulling the engine... fuel lines, heater hoses, ect... Today, I removed the speedometer cable. After that, I removed both of the seats, as well as the brackets, and some crummy middle console the PO had in there. I'm thinking I'm going to remove the non-factory roll bar that was installed at some point. It's kind of obtrusive, but mostly just kind of ugly. Also, I don't know how much good it would do, because it's just bolted to the floor. Doesn't even connect to the frame. What do you guys think? Anyway, I made a little progress today, but had to stop so I can go watch the University of Tennessee play Georgia. Go Big Orange!

IMG_1620.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

Ordered the full-floating axle assembly for the rear, and also a set of used solid steel wheels that are the disc brake type. Removed the rear driveshaft and various small components like the steering damper. Sorry... no pics today.

Where did you order a full floater from? I've been looking for one for my build for months and haven't been able to find one.

I have a question that isn't worth starting a thread for... What year tops are compatible with a '72 model FJ40? The second part of my question is... What about just the roof portion? Would a roof from a '78 fit on the hardtop sides of a '72? I've got a damaged place in the rear corner of my roof, and there's a local guy that has one from a '78. I just don't know if it will fit. Actually, if I can ever find a roof for an FJ45, I would really like to do something like what's in the picture below. Although, it looks like they've chopped the top, and I don't really want to go that route.

View attachment 3153578

Yes, I believe a 78 roof should fit on a 72. The support that goes accross the top of the windshield fame may be slightly different because of the wiper arms on the top of the 72 frame. Should be easy to make it work.

Where did you order a full floater from? I've been looking for one for my build for months and haven't been able to find one.

I ordered it from CruiserParts in NH.

On the agenda for this evening, was to continue to remove any wires, lines, etc... that connected the engine/transmission/t-case to the frame or body. Also on the agenda was the removal of the gas tank, the heater, and the transmission/t-case tunnel cover. Took forever to drain the gas tank. From the sound of it, I didn't expect much, but ended up draining about 7-8 gallons. That should feed my mower for a while. Found a few more rust areas that I will have to address. Deeper and deeper down the LC rabbit hole I go.

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

I'm thinking there might be a couple duplicates. Do you happen to have an extra 10mm socket? :)

I'm sure I do somewhere around here... I'll have to find one. ; )

Just did a few small things yesterday. Ended up being pretty busy this afternoon and early evening, so I was disappointed that I hadn't done anything to old blue today, so I went out and pulled the engine...

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1647.jpg

IMG_1648.jpg

No updates to report lately. However, I did order floor pans for the front driver and passenger sides. I could have easily gotten away with just some minor repairing, but I wanted it to be nice, so I'm just going to replace them. Ended up going with Real Steel. Not having a zinc coating, they should weld up a little better. Also, the price looked a little better than CCOT.

Got the top lifted off in preparation for removing the roll cage. I think I have the cage sold, so I need to remove it intact. Much more of a pain than just cutting it out. I really need a bigger shop.

IMG_1698.jpg

I like that half cab, I want to do that to mine. Your tool box\chest is blowing my mind. Years of collecting there. I like your progress and power train plans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom