Old blue 85 extra cab 22re shop truck build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is a 2 inch lift I picked light load it will give a nice ride and be a great reliable system. I’ve done marlin long travel in past but I don’t want to cut and weld all new brackets on and my experience the bushings are junk and constantly had to replace and there lowest lift gives way to much lift for what I want. If you want to switch give me a holler I will hook you up with a great price

I'd be interested in some before/after hub-to-fender measurements if you can grab some. Was eyeing that suspension setup, but I don't know exactly how many "inches" of lift I need. I have a pretty good idea of what hub-to-fender I'm looking for though.

I'd be interested in some before/after hub-to-fender measurements if you can grab some. Was eyeing that suspension setup, but I don't know exactly how many "inches" of lift I need. I have a pretty good idea of what hub-to-fender I'm looking for though.
I’ll do some measurement

I’ll do some measurement
Would also be curious to know if the new springs are able to push the axle forward a bit. Or if they just keep it in the factory spot

Would also be curious to know if the new springs are able to push the axle forward a bit. Or if they just keep it in the factory spot
I think it will stay close to stock on wheel placement

A92F41A4-9101-484E-9A8D-5A32B9366794.jpeg
Got the old 315/75 r16 yokahoma goo3 tires on factory 80 series wheels fitted this weekend with much work to firewall (pics latter) but do not rub anywhere full lock full stuff. The wheels required a wheels spacer to clear steering arm but once axles are build with ifs hub conversion and Tacoma brakes those won’t be needed. I will be able to use full suspension travel without extending the bump stops with the Dobinsons suspension thus the reason I fit them with stock suspension

632EC4D7-8C17-4C6B-A645-BC1A8C62CC28.jpeg
A hard day working on 85 toyota pickups today. It was a mix between getting my Dads bed painted on is 49,000 mile barn find which I have a thread started on as well…… and also installing the Dobinsons 2 inch lift on the old blue truck

14CC7A46-B016-45D6-97C6-A837AE263DC9.jpeg

79F08C1C-BE11-4AD5-8F58-E32B93AB7588.jpeg

Lift looks good. How much did you chop out of your front fenders? Just to the body line around the original opening?
I'm trying to guesstimate/visualize if this setup will work for me.

Any plans to do crossover steering?

Lift looks good. How much did you chop out of your front fenders? Just to the body line around the original opening?
I'm trying to guesstimate/visualize if this setup will work for me.

Any plans to do crossover steering?
I cut 1.5 out of the fenders, basically took 1.5 masking tape and went around it and cut it…. I’m pulling the third leaf out of the rear sometime this week and will report back on ride improvement. I’m totally empty in rear and there is just too much spring rate. If I was loaded up like a lot of guys it would prob be perfect. I am doing crossover steering. I did one years ago sitting low like this. You can’t use off the self steering box plates thr box has to sit flat and high and use a flat pitman arm and actually notch the frame for the nut from the tie rod end to pass but well worth the time and effort.

Reactions: SMG
I cut 1.5 out of the fenders, basically took 1.5 masking tape and went around it and cut it…. I’m pulling the third leaf out of the rear sometime this week and will report back on ride improvement. I’m totally empty in rear and there is just too much spring rate. If I was loaded up like a lot of guys it would prob be perfect. I am doing crossover steering. I did one years ago sitting low like this. You can’t use off the self steering box plates thr box has to sit flat and high and use a flat pitman arm and actually notch the frame for the nut from the tie rod end to pass but well worth the time and effort.

Ok makes sense. Rear suspension in it's off-the-shelf form may work pretty good for me. Will be carrying some extra weight on this one.
If you can grab a front hub-to-fender measurement I can subtract 1.5" from that and see if it might work for me.

Do you keep this suspension setup in stock?

Ok makes sense. Rear suspension in it's off-the-shelf form may work pretty good for me. Will be carrying some extra weight on this one.
If you can grab a front hub-to-fender measurement I can subtract 1.5" from that and see if it might work for me.

I’ll measure it tonight I drove the wife’s car to work. Today to change oil

Suspension is in stock

1FA88D92-85A7-4888-80F0-690BB1CA91D2.jpeg

I’ve been so busy with other projects I havnt worked much on ol blue but tonight I I got the all pro front bumper and come up seal series 2 9500 winch installed it required a bit of grill trimming but it’s all good I love that it’s tucked tight. I also installed a lc engineering big note throttle body and intake tube along with a throttle body spacer, I have to say it made a difference. I’ve got a full lc header and exhaust going on soon when time permits

9D4D7FA0-A912-474D-8DB7-4270EAA85AB4.jpeg

4E4347FF-91B6-4709-BEFB-7BFA109102F5.jpeg

C08639E5-A987-4C47-9A4F-6976125F4C30.jpeg

532D04FC-E1B5-46BA-AFC3-183DE55D3E74.jpeg

9A4E205B-C731-4AAF-A43F-3AD18A66EA73.jpeg

I had a valve cover leaking so I pulled it to install new gasket and found timing chain guides had left this world. So…. In spite of a lc engineering stroker 22re being in my near future for this truck I love driving it so I took a day to install a dual roll timing chain kit from lc and full header and exhaust system from lc along with it. We are back running and keeping the truck ready for it’s shop truck duties

3AFF33B4-2C13-4A65-B15F-3EBE8A61018E.jpeg

58C129DC-D477-403E-A63D-76CC5822169F.jpeg

1AFEA6F3-691F-4176-B4AA-F7931120A1B9.jpeg

43444032-5ACA-449D-B3F0-B6CF7C644789.jpeg

6F4B43F6-7B21-414A-BB52-849A6714B89F.jpeg

Just an FYI. I'm not sure why people run that little breather on the rocker arm cover instead of the factory routing. What you have essentially done is created a vacuum leak of unmetered air. The idea is metered air from the throttle body enters the top of the engine where the breather is. It's then pulled back into the engine through the PCV valve. You still have the PCV. The air pulled through the PCV is unmetered.

Just an FYI. I'm not sure why people run that little breather on the rocker arm cover instead of the factory routing. What you have essentially done is created a vacuum leak of unmetered air. The idea is metered air from the throttle body enters the top of the engine where the breather is. It's then pulled back into the engine through the PCV valve. You still have the PCV. The air pulled through the PCV is unmetered.
Yeah agreed My hoses were rotted and didn’t have one to replace it last night and needed to drive home so I thru it on because it was in the kit. Im ordering a new on from toyota Monday and will get it proper. That setup is scary to me because all the water we have to run thru in the ozarks I would be afraid if Ingesting water with that breather

It’s been too long since I updated this thread there has been just too much other things going on. I’ve went a different direction on this truck going down on tire size to 31x10.50 15 Yokohama geolander mt and throwing a new set of fenders on it. We are going to build a nice Aussie inspired flat bed for kit so get the most out of it being a work horse and beside that the 3rd gen bed on a second gen thing just doesn’t set well with me
E05F0A71-BB40-4CDD-8E4D-383DE8CCA78B.jpeg

A1D79909-4924-4611-8E5C-AA666D805A54.jpeg

37CF094C-E594-4386-A856-E342B4AAD05B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom