Old aux fuel tank manufacturer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hobbes

SILVER Star
Threads
I have an old aux fuel tank I'm planning on blasting and putting back on my FJ40 if it checks out. I will probably need to track down some mounting stuff and am hoping to pin point the manufacturer. It's a Con-Ferr looking tank with a skid plate. Anyone?

image.jpeg

I don't recognize the rust... what does the tank look like? ;)

Edit: When I as looking for hardware to use in mounting my aux tank, @Downey (Jim) was able to provide everything I needed.

Last edited:
Rather than a close up of the decal, an overall pic of the tank would be more helpful. Top deck shape, bottom slope, filler neck and fuel return provisions.

If it is indeed an old Conferr,it would have to be really old based on that sticker. I started selling their tanks at my shop in 1990, and I don't recall that decal.

Soooo, based on that, I personally wouldn't spend a dime on ancillary components to mount it until you can determine the tank is sound. You not only have to blast and boil it; you should actually fill it with gasoline. There are some leaks that will not show up any other way.

Best

Mark

I looked for that CARB number and came up empty. Ask @65swb45. Burbank is his 'hood and he knows some cruiser things. :)

I'm guessing it's from "Southern California Fuel Products". (?)

Edit: Wow. I somehow summoned him to answer before me. WTH?

I'll try to get some more photos up. I'm not co-located with it. The FJ40 has been off the road for, um, awhile. I bought the truck in the mid-90s, and the tank looked old then. But, at least the install was great. :rolleyes:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I don't recognize the rust... what does the tank look like? ;)

A sharp eye would have picked up on the rust being Yuma, Eugene, and Henderson based. Plus some others, I'm sure!:(

Edit: The back of the truck was in bad shape when I bought it. I do recall seeing an east coast location in the old paper work in the glove box. Maybe NY? Been too long for me to recall...

Last edited:
A sharp eye would have picked up on the rust being Yuma, Eugene, and Henderson based. Plus some others, I'm sure!:(

I probably would have recognized the rust when I lived in Central Texas... but, living in Vegas, for several years, has ruined my eye for rust. :)

There were dozens of FJ40 steel aux tank builders in the 70's. In California you've still got Aerotanks in San Bernardino. No one makes a living
building Land Cruiser tanks anymore. The numbers aren't there.
Man-a-Fre had luck sourcing tanks to general welding companies. Runs of five or ten would last a year for them.

I believe the decal/tank was from Southern California Metal Products, and I believe they may have been one of MAF's suppliers. For the record lcwizard, I still sell 5 to 10 Landcruiser fuel cells per month, and that's as many tanks as I use to sell back in the day. Sells probably still continuing for me since other suppliers have vanished- - - happy me.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So no provisions for a pump or gauge. Pretty thick metal. On the way with the blaster with some other stuff. Hoping an old school radiator shop can boil it out.

Hobbes, take a gander at ebay #252412660991, see top aluminum plate for pick up tube, return line, and sender. see recessed filler neck. see in-tank pump kit. Ebay #252378877727 is an aluminum skid plate that should fit your tank. We use a Centroid Products sender with these tanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom