Old AC with new fitting - is this R134a? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had this FJ60 about a month and discovering that just about everything is original. PO really didn't do anything to it, so no surprise to see we have the original AC compressor. But after cleaning the engine, lol, we noticed a new fitting... Does this mean he upgraded from r12 to r134a?? All he said was "the AC doesn't work" - we assumed it needed refrigerant, but assumed it was still r12. Is there any way to check without taking it to a shop? Any danger in adding r134 if we're unsure? TIA!

IMG_0786.JPG

Yes. It's a 134 adapter. Try pushing on the valve and see if anything comes out. Probably empty. My guess is you will be wasting your time and money to try and fill it. You're going to need to overhaul the entire system. Replace your compressor, dryer/accumulator, condenser and expansion valve. Replace as many o-rings as you can ...green generic o-rings work. Get some pag46 oil and then fill. Then...you can check for leaks, replace leaking lines, tighten fittings etc.

Yes. It's a 134 adapter. Try pushing on the valve and see if anything comes out. Probably empty. My guess is you will be wasting your time and money to try and fill it. You're going to need to overhaul the entire system. Replace your compressor, dryer/accumulator, condenser and expansion valve. Replace as many o-rings as you can ...green generic o-rings work. Get some pag46 oil and then fill. Then...you can check for leaks, replace leaking lines, tighten fittings etc.

Thanks for confirming it's the r134 adapter. And no doubt all that is the way to go. Would rather overhaul the right system than upgrade, so I guess that's at least a start.

Good luck on overhauling your AC. I just completed mine. If you decide to do it, here's a partial list of threads that helped me along the way. Obviously you'll need a copy of the FSM.

Why would you need to replace the compressor and condenser?

Why would you not?

It's a matter of money. These two parts probably will cost $350+. On my 80 series, when I got it, the A/C didn't work. It needed a recharge. So I decided to go R134a. I rinsed out the system to clean out the old oil. I then replaced the drier and expansion valve, which were cheap like $25. I turned the compressor by hand with the clutch hot-wired and it seemed to be pushing out air. So I replaced all the O-rings, added some oil and dye, installed R134a valve adapters, and pulled a vacuum. After seeing it hold the vacuum, I charged it and it has worked great for years. I think I was into it under $50 total. Maybe I'm just cheap, but I figured I would see if they worked before replacing them. YMMV.

You got lucky. The OP's vehicle is an fj60 which means it's at least 32 years old. Original compressors have bearing and seals that go bad. We don't know how long it's been sitting. The oil is prob dried up. Condensers get clogged and the fins get deformed. When a/c system go belly up it can be from a bad compressor. When this happens debris particles get pushed around in the system. This is why sellers of compresssor won't guarantee them unless you purge and vacuum the system first. If the OP doesn't have a shop and a/c equipment ...he needs to buy an AC kit with the gauge and hose and a couple cans of R134..many of these kits go for 50.00, then he will have to rent or buy an vacuum pump and vacuum any trash out of the system or pay a shop to do this. It can get expensive. Then lets say he gets his compressor running and finds a leak. Now he has to evacuate the r134 and buy new hoses or at least new o rings and fix that. Now he pays again for more freon. Then its very likely that he doesn't get far and the compressor that has old worn bearings and seals fails. This is why it's a good idea to just redo the whole system up front.
Now if you have a shop and a/c equipment and want to roll the dice with a couple cans of r134 from walmart then go for it. Just my .02 cents.

300k and still on original compressor, condenser, and heat exchanger. Converted to 134a years ago...now using propane. Cold.

300k and still on original compressor, condenser, and heat exchanger. Converted to 134a years ago...now using propane. Cold.
OMG! You are using a non-approved gas in your AC?!!! And one that is explosive and catches fire.....(just like that big tank on the back end of the truck that then has a line that brings that flamable liquid to the top of the hot engine? Sarcasm intention for the enviro-idiots). Hows the propane working for ya in terms of dropping from room temp?

Glenn in Marana

Never heard of using propane...to the op @g-man is correct that said my 62 ac didn't work when i got it was hot af one day and my driver window did work couldn't stand it stopped by walmart got just the fittings and got 2 cans of freon with the gauge on it went out to the 62 checked to see if there was any freon pushed in the factory r12 valve just a little shhhh came out put the new fitting on started it up turned the ac on full blast hooked the can up and just sprayed it in no vacuum nothing sure enough compressor kicked on and i filled it up been going strong for over 4 years. I do have all the equipment to do it correctly but haven't needed to do anything haven't added any freon.

Never heard of using propane...to the op @g-man is correct that said my 62 ac didn't work when i got it was hot af one day and my driver window did work couldn't stand it stopped by walmart got just the fittings and got 2 cans of freon with the gauge on it went out to the 62 checked to see if there was any freon pushed in the factory r12 valve just a little shhhh came out put the new fitting on started it up turned the ac on full blast hooked the can up and just sprayed it in no vacuum nothing sure enough compressor kicked on and i filled it up been going strong for over 4 years. I do have all the equipment to do it correctly but haven't needed to do anything haven't added any freon.
You got lucky too! Sometimes you luck out. I'd like to hear from people who didn't do so well. I'll bet there are lots out there and they probably don't want to talk about how stupid they were, and share with us how many times they had to rework and how many times they had to pay for freon and shop work.

1- i dont fish 2- i dont take anything to the dealer 3- i dont discuss my sex life 4- i work on my own vehicles along with other vehicles including landcruisers.... and yes i got lucky! and i also said you are correct

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom