Old 76 fj40 braking issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an old 76 softtop cruiser that I am in the process of getting re-registered. I have got her running but the RHF drum keeps seizing and the old girl pulls to the left badly under braking. At present I just want to get her road legal then I can spend the wedge to make her beautiful again.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

I have an old 76 softtop cruiser that I am in the process of getting re-registered. I have got her running but the RHF drum keeps seizing and the old girl pulls to the left badly under braking. At present I just want to get her road legal then I can spend the wedge to make her beautiful again.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Don't think 76s had front drums. How about some pics of the brake cylinders?

Have you bled the system?

A 76 FJ40 is not that old ;)

A 76 will have front disk stock and rear drum. There are several reasons why the cruiser is pulling to the left, I recommend having a professional look at it. Brakes aren't something to just mess around with.

In 1976, USA cruisers had front discs, but many world wide trucks had drums. Even the factory manual had a whole section on front drum brakes.

For Perth---Swapping in front disc components from an FJ60 is a snap, and will improve things immensely. Otherwise you are stuck troubleshooting the front drum system. You'll likely replace the shoes and all of the wheel cylinders in the end anyway, so go ahead and do that now!

My guess is that your brakes are not adjusted right, as the dual wheel cylinder drum brakes are critically dependent on exact adjustment. The side it isn't pulling to, is likely where your problem lies. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom