Builds OL'BETSY ZX: 1991 HZJ77 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Could timing adjustment have any play in this embarrassing mosquito fogging? No idea...
I have the same issue after I installed the new injectors, and I believe it is definitely timing related... I am in the middle of advancing my timing a bit to see if that helps, which I think it should, but will let you know the results. It could be a bit, as I got started, and decided while I have the forward battery out, and had to remove the upper rad hose the get a wrench in there properly to get at the engine side bolt, I might as well do a coolant flush and install the coolant heater pump all at the same time. I may not get around to finishing everything until the weekend as I am busy every night this week!

Ol' Bets is looking pretty darn good! Glad you are happy with the RTT!

In removing that bolt on the side of the pump for the measuring, I wonder if air can get into the system?? The white smoke is very much like trapped air in my experience...

In any event new glow plugs are enroute from the Middle East. Because old GPs aren't gonna help matters no matter what...

The white smoke is very much like trapped air in my experience...
Hey Phil,

I am just wondering what vehicle(s) - diesel engine(s) you have experienced this trapped air anomaly that you are referring to? I have been driving diesels for over 30 years and sure; I have had air in the system from various sources (working on injectors, new filters, bad bleed screw) but once I prime enough fuel in the system to get it running, any air in it is quickly pushed through! With diesels running around 2000psi at the injectors, any air in the system does not last long and is quickly pushed out. Air is the system is recognized as rough idle, perhaps even a stall or non start if there is no fuel. Conversely, lot of smoke is just unburnt fuel.

Also, I stole some time yesterday to get my timing advanced, and a couple of other things done, and once I buttoned everything up, the cruiser started immediately, with NO SMOKE. It was a little noisier (expected with advanced fuel) but quietened down once it warmed up. Also, I did a good test run on the freeway on some of the longer hills around here and where I was able to do a long climb in 4th gear @ 85-90km/hr I was now able to do in 5th gear @ 100-110km/hr with EGT's around 1100F

What a difference!!! I will post in my build thread the results shortly...

Went to the back to continue my project in the cargo dept.

My overland vehicle systems drawer came the other day, so a test fit was in order...
IMG_20211005_202818706.jpg

Has a sliding top and a slide out work surface underneath, as well as the drawer itself. It appears to fit my needs, so now another is on the way!

While I'm waiting for drawer number two, my wife surprised me with a real splurge. I've been lusting after the JETBOIL Genesis for a long time, and esp with the drawer setup, having the stove and pot/frying pan all in one compact space would be a real bonus. But I'd never have bought it because of the significant cost of entry. And I have an old propane stove, and a white gas one. So... came home the other day, and my wife says "let's go out and look at how your set up is coming along". That should've been a red flag, but I didn't recognize it. 😂 Opened the back door, and there it was! Wow. Gotta love her!

Here's how it will be deployed when the back is finished...

IMG_20211008_165136062.jpg

Sounds like she is a keeper Phil!! :clap: The setup is looking great and the jetboil is the perfect spoil!! Now you just have to think of how to return the favor! Hint: Christmas is just around the corner - (no pressure!)

Sounds like she is a keeper Phil!! :clap: The setup is looking great and the jetboil is the perfect spoil!! Now you just have to think of how to return the favor! Hint: Christmas is just around the corner - (no pressure!)
Lol. It's been 22 years. So keeper for sure. 🥰 Already been thinking ahead for Noel..

Glow plugs showed up EARLY. Can't remember the last time that happened. So I put them in.

Still a little white smokey on cold start. Cracked the injectors one at a time and got bubbles so I suspect some air got introduced when i retimed it last week?

Lol. It's been 22 years. So keeper for sure. 🥰 Already been thinking ahead for Noel..

Glow plugs showed up EARLY. Can't remember the last time that happened. So I put them in.

Still a little white smokey on cold start. Cracked the injectors one at a time and got bubbles so I suspect some air got introduced when i retimed it last week?
I'm not sure what the sweet spot is, but apparently 1.09 might be a bit advanced for this rig. Slightly bumpy on start up and lots of fog until it makes some heat. I'm going to go back in and retard it a little to see what makes it happy.

Meanwhile, more work out back. After waiting three weeks for the correct ladder (they sent me the troopy ladder at first), I now have the one for the 76. It was the right one, but fitment was... meh. The holes sat a few mm too high to line up with the existing back door holes. What should've been a quick bolt on, turned into enlarging the holes, tweaking the ladder, etc until ultimately it stretched out to span the distance. I can't imagine the 76 door is any different dimensionally than the 77, but anyway. It finally went on.

IMG_20211012_200513768.jpg

Replaced some broken door card clips, went to button it all back up, and ... oh. Wait. No license plate lights? Did I somehow mess up the wiring in the process, or were the bulbs gone and I didn't notice? Confirmed the circuit was good with my voltmeter, and then started taking more things apart.

Bulbs were blown. And of course the the lenses were cloudy. Couldn't put those back in place... sigh.
IMG_20211012_202654912.jpg

Out came the plastic polish. There... that's better:

IMG_20211012_202911782.jpg

One more to go.

IMG_20211012_202424551.jpg

Second drawer is supposed to arrive today, and then we can get a better idea of fitment. Also, I've been working on a little project in the dash as well, using some outdated, old school, obsolete tech. But more on that later... :cool:

Last edited:
1.08 seemed a better fit. I did have to pump the fuel primer a bit. Seems like air gets into the pump via the bolt you remove to insert the timing gauge tool?

But once the air was purged, things were better. It doesn't start on half a turn like it did when I first got it, but once it's going it runs so much better. Minimal black smoke, much more usable power band.
IMG_20211016_100407639.jpg

I'm going to call this little battle won, and move on. 😉

I got my second drawer and have been playing around with interior organization some more. Fun stuff! Also got a net for the roof, where my sleeping bag can live and not get in the way.

I did decide to put the drawers in with a gap in between, in order to store water at the centerline. Pics once I have a few more things settled, but a weekend trip out seemed to favour this setup.

Oh... Jetboil genesis was pure gold.

IMG_20211017_083637_01.jpg

My smoking habit does not seem to be cured yet.

As the weather has crept toward winter, the white smoke on start up has gotten worse. It started as soon as I began monkeying with the IP timing, so I assumed it was related. Turns out it may just be an unhappy coincidence. No amount of messing with timing makes any difference, so I've gone to the glow system, which any sane person would've started with...

I've already posted in the 24v section, but the resistor is a mythical part that not too many seem to have answers on. In a nutshell, I get 22.4v to the glowplugs on initial start and then within a few seconds it goes to zero and does not come back up, so it would seem no secondary glow, and the white smoke billows. I ran through the factory checks, and my test of the "resistor" showed ZERO continuity between contacts, when the FSM says there should be. I'm going to assume that said resistor should normally allow a portion of juice through after the initial full burst of the primary circuit. No continuity seems to say no secondary glow?

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 9.49.11 PM.png

Enter the world supply chain cluster-cluck.

This guy is sold out all over...
s-l500.jpeg

So I appear to be down and out or at least a gross polluter until I can source this. :cry:

(edited to add a capture of the service manual check of the resistor)

Last edited:
Hey Phil,

I found 19 in stock in Japan, but you end up paying an additional $50usd going through the smaller shops there. I suggest if you are not in a rush, place an order with partsouq even though they will cancel it because they are out of stock and that should wake somebody up to get some more...

Hopefully this will look after your bad habit! 😜

Hey Phil,

I found 19 in stock in Japan, but you end up paying an additional $50usd going through the smaller shops there. I suggest if you are not in a rush, place an order with partsouq even though they will cancel it because they are out of stock and that should wake somebody up to get some more...

Hopefully this will look after your bad habit! 😜
Did you really? Where did you find them? My usual suspects are all out and one place actually says out of production.

Thanks so much pal. There's one showing on ebay (won't ship to canada) but I have a US buddy looking into it as we speak. If that doesn't pan out, then I may have to start shelling out mucho Euros. Ouch. Almost 300 of our canadian loonies incl shipping from Latvia for this stupid thing!

Appreciate it!

By the way, for anyone who reads this in future, I had a hope of maybe subbing in the resistor from the 60 Series, but I just managed to come up with the specs, and it doesn't appear to be a match. Close but...

The 70 Series resistor, part no 28621-68020 is stamped as 7.7 volts.
The 60 Series resistor, part no 28621-64011 is stamped as 5.9 volts.

Other than this, they look identical in pics I've been able to see, but not internally the same. How much difference this would make is not my area of expertise, but in the interest of keeping it OEM, I won't be going down this road.

Here's a shot of the little troublemaker, allegedly causing me so much smoke? I rechecked continuity out of the truck. Still NADA...

IMG_20211027_182109436.jpg

Hey Phil, there's two of those available, one to use, one to lose?

I probably should've gotten both, but part of me (a small part) is not even 100% positive that it'll fix the problem LOL. (99% maybe...?)

Thanks again pal. Much obliged.

BTW, what're you doing over here? Are you lost? The 200 section is a long ways from here... 😂

I poke my nose in here once in a while to see what yer doing to Ol Betsy. Is this one VII?

I poke my nose in here once in a while to see what yer doing to Ol Betsy. Is this one VII?
Nope. unbelievably, this is number 10. o_O And there were a couple in there that didn't even get the moniker. Can you believe it's been 7 years since Betsy 5 and "the Boat" plied the red rocks of Moab? We gotta break that disturbing trend come summer.

Betsy 10 is reminiscent of B5, except for the extra cylinders, solid front axle, and a few other things LOL. The guy I sold her to became a buddy, and we actually went out camping last weekend. So here, for the first time, are Betsy 5 and Betsy 10, doing stuff...
IMG_0586.jpg

So recently we celebrated a year with the 77 by going back to the same burger joint we stopped at last October on the night we brought her home.

IMG_20211029_111657_706.jpg

IMG_20211029_111657_617.jpg

As this thread shows, this rig has had a lot of attention in the last year. And I have lots more plans for it, with hopefully less garage shots moving forward. 😚

Here's a short story I just published about this first anniversary...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom