ol' jenny build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your 40 is coming along nicely. Engine. Tranny. 4WDB. Lift.

What's next?

Still need to install aux. tank, kill switches, roundeyes. But nothing major. And stop trying to spend my money, I already did enough damage.

Wheeling?
Yes. I will create a new post about wheeling on Aug 6th.

He's moving to West Virginia?
Wrong part of the country. Wife is looking for jobs in Washington and Oregon.

Took another test drive. This time all highway...down to Socorro and back to ABQ. Had a little issue, had to keep laying off the throttle to keep between 63 and 65 mph. Ran at 70mph fine and held at 75mph for a few minutes just to see what would happen. The engine just kept on going. Please recall that I am running 33x9.5 BFGs, 4spd tranny and 2F. Speedometer is almost right on with those radar speed signs. Calculated 13 mpg. I wonder what the mileage will be like with a ported vacuum and tuned carb?

Temperature on the way to Socorro remained 1/2 way on gauge (morning); Back from Socorro steady at 5/8 (late afternoon).

Good to hear that is driving well, but how are you getting the speedo to be accurate? I have about a 16% overdrive because of the larger tires.

how are you getting the speedo to be accurate? I have about a 16% overdrive because of the larger tires.

I do not know. My mini truck was the same way when I went with larger tires; very little difference to worry about. Perhaps I need to triple check with a GPS?

You can just take the ratio of the diameters of the new tires over the old tires to figure the difference. Just multiply the speed indicated by the ratio of the new tire diameter over the old tire diameter. Of course that will only get you back to where you were. For example, if your new tires are 35's and the old tires were 31's, you need to multiply your indicated speed by 35/31 or 1.13, or add 13%.

GPS is the best way to check.

The good news is that you get to multiply your mpg by that ratio to get your real fuel economy as well.

I just finished reading your thread... I didn't realize how much work you've done in the last six months!

You've done a fantastic job!

Road Trip Observations

The day after the Puerco run last month my carb decided to leak fuel. Considering the age of the carb, I sent it off to Mark A. for a rebuild and ported vacuum. Now that I have the carb back on, I decided to take Jenny on the road for work.

Before doing so I decided to located the fuel smell in the cabin. Discovered my evap canister had a small hole in the port going to the charcoal canister. I removed the evap canister and plumbed one of the gas tank vent lines directly to the line going to the charcoal canister. Plugged the other two vent lines from the tank. This worked. No more fuel smell. Now I need to source a new evap canister or try to fix the one I have.

So, on Tuesday, made it to Carlsbad (300 miles or so according to google maps). Mechanically no issues. Cruised at 65mph no problem. Using the mileage from google.maps, I average 8.9 mpg. Hmm, this seams a little low. Next trip I will take an odometer reading and compensate for my 33" tires. FYI: GPS reads 65mph, speedometer reads 62 mph.

On Wednesday. head out at 7am to the oil fields southeast of Carlsbad near the Texas/NM border. Bounced around the oil fields for 5.5 hours. Then started to head home. 6.5 hours later arrived at my house. 12 hours that day in Jenny.

A few times the temp gauge was just shy of the 3/4 mark but mostly stayed around the 1/2 mark. Not to bad as outside temp. was in the mid-90's, truck was not turned off in 7 hours, and cruising at 65 mph on the 2F 4spd.

As for creature comfort, some work needs to be done. I had a little oven going on in the cabin. The rear tub, just behind the driver side was very hot to the touch. I need to weld some heat shield between the muffler and tub. I will also add heat shields between the tailpipe and tube while at it. The tranny cover varied from warm to hot. In addition to the heat shields, I will add some sort of heat/noise proofing to the interior floorboards and tub. Then cover with rubber mats or carpet to help keep the noise/heat down. FYI: I also drove with ear plugs in. As it is impossible to have a quiet ride, all I am looking for is to take the edge of the heat/noise.

Before changing or modifying anything else, it would be interesting to note the difference in mpg, heat and noise by just changing this one variable:

TRY DRIVING 55!

:hmm:

:cheers:

Before changing or modifying anything else, it would be interesting to note the difference in mpg, heat and noise by just changing this one variable:

TRY DRIVING 55!

:hmm:

:cheers:

With the head/cross wind the feel like speed to the FJ40 was most likely 70mph. I may head to the mountains this weekend and will drive 55mph since my wife will be with me and we will have to have some sort of lower decibel level in the truck.

I also may still have the fuel leak on the carb base at the butterfly shaft; the passenger side where the clip goes on at the front of the carb holding the shaft. I have not adjusted the idle or throttle valve since you sent me the carb back to me. The idle sounds fine (I have not reconnect my tachometer yet. I will check the idle and throttle adjustment sometime over the next week. I just assumed that you adjusted these somehow off the vehicle as the truck sounded really good after I installed the carb you rebuilt. I will let you know what I find after you return from out of town!

Thanks Mark.

I thought I could joing the x-mas tree run...

Until last weekend.

Ok, it has been awhile since I updated. I have been busy figuring out why I could not get fuel from my aux. tank. After cleaning out the tank several MORE times, connecting/de-connecting an electric pump, checking connections. It seamed that the pick-up tube in the tank kept getting clogged.

Well, I had a suspicion that it was the RTV I used on the fuel sender gasket. When I installed the fuel sender I used an aftermarket rubber gasket. It was a little thin so I supplemented it with RTV. Too much RTV. So after dropping the tank for the third time I pulled the sender. Yuck, RTV everywhere, and I thought I went light. I had big pieces sinking to the bottom. To big to flow out the drain plug hole and big enough to block the pick-up. So after several hours of cleaning the tank of RTV, I installed an OEM cork gasket. Ahhh, so much better.

With the aux. tank install finally wrapped up, I moved on to my other issues. First was to see why when I installed the 2F I had low oil pressure. The gauge did not move past the first mark while driving. According to the the FSM, the first mark is 28.4 psi. Then a few weeks ago the gauge would barely come into the sight window and hang out at the zero mark. I grounded the sender wire and the gauge pinged. Hmmm, I am in the process of hooking up a mechanical gauge. Just waiting for an adapter to arrive to go from BSP to NPT.

Then I need to figure out why I am running hot. The muffler shop noticed that my exhaust pipe is turning grey (too much heat). With the help from MUD, it was suggested that I check my vacuum advance, timing, and fuel mixture. I think the diaphragm in the vacuum advanced assembly is no good. I can blow and suck the vacuum line with no resistance and hear air movement from the dizzy (with cap off). I am going to pull the vacuum advanced assembly for further diagnosis.

Another issue is a pinhole leak in my radiator. It was cored and flushed during the engine swap. It is leaking where the upper tank is soldered to the cores. Time to take it back to the radiator shop.

On the win side, I installed heat shields between the exhaust pipe and muffler; and body. This has helped a lot.

Hi Andrew,

Do you have any pictures of the heatshields you installed?

Guy

Great! Thanks!

I have a OME 2.5 lift sitting in the garage waiting for some free time... the heat shield will be a good addition. I'll add some interior treatment also.

Are you going on the Christmas tree run?

I'll add some interior treatment also.

To further reduce the heat in the rear cargo area I finished my install of the rear tub cargo mat and insulation (Floor Mats FJ40) this afternoon. I debated whether to buy rubber mat from McMaster-Carr or buy precut. I am very happy with the stuff from CCOT.

I will post pictures too.

Are you going on the Christmas tree run?

I do not know yet as I have a few minor issues to resolve. But I really want to make it this year driving the FJ40 as it would be a good pre-run for another x-mas tree run on the 11th.

FYI: Just like the other posts about the OME suspension; it took about 10 to 12 months for the leaf springs to soften. One day I was driving down the road and noticed the smooth ride.

Hi Andrew,

Do you have any pictures of the heatshields you installed?

Guy

Here you go:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Looks good Andrew. That should help cut down the heat build-up in the cab. Hope to see you out on the trail for the Xmas tree run on 12/4. I'd like to check it out in person.

Thanks for the pics! Looks great! Where did you get the material?

Radio Install

Temporary install of a 2m/70cm amateur radio. I will eventually mount this on the roll bar, once I get one.

The PO drilled holes into the heater and ash tray. So I re-used these holes to mount the chassis and mic.

picture.php

Made a crappy bracket for the faceplate, but it works:

picture.php

picture.php

Antenna install:

picture.php

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom