OKC Informal Meeting #1 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Enough discussion! lets plan a meeting.

I would like to schedule an infomal meeting for the OK City area for the 2nd Thursday of September. (14th) Let's meet at the new Swadleys BBQ that just opened near Quail Springs mall. North side of Memorial/Kilpatrick turnpike. 6:30- 7 pm or so.

Let's just see how it goes and plan where we go from there?

Anybody think they can make it? Hope to see you there!!

KeithB

NuOkie said:
Enough discussion! lets plan a meeting.

I would like to schedule an infomal meeting for the OK City area for the 2nd Thursday of September. (14th) Let's meet at the new Swadleys BBQ that just opened near Quail Springs mall. North side of Memorial/Kilpatrick turnpike. 6:30- 7 pm or so.

Let's just see how it goes and plan where we go from there?

Anybody think they can make it? Hope to see you there!!

KeithB

LET'S DO IT!

Yee haw...I'm in.
See ya there.

Bo

A little more discussion...

So I just ate lunch at the Swadley's in question. It was pretty decent BBQ and the prices were good (either $7 for a sandwich or $9+ for a dinner). Not much selection...but was still good.

Those are the pros...now the cons:

1. No outdoor seating. This might not be a big deal during the 100 degree days of summer or the winter months...but on a day like today I'd like to be able to sit outside and gaze at the parking lot full of cruisers (fingers crossed).

2. NO BEER. Yep. I said it. They don't serve party beverages. Again, may not be a big deal to some...but I sure do like to have a beer with my cruiser talk.

Alternatives...

I have two ideas, both of which are right down the street from Swadley's:

1. The Fox and Hound. Good food and beer selection. Some outdoor seating (limited).

or

2. http://www.bakerstreetpub.com/oklahoma.shtm221B. Baker St. Pub & Grill. Yep. Ol' Mr. Holmes' address. This has a ton of outdoor seating along either side of the building (as well as in front), with a view of the parking lot for us voyeur types. Also has a good selection of beer and food (from the website.) I haven't been there personally, but it still looks to be like a good plan.

So...what do you think? Should we stick with Swadley's or move to option 1 or 2?

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: My vote would be for option 2. :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

That's all.

Matt

How do they expect you to eat BBQ without Beer! That is a problem. I would be game for either of the others but my 16 year old son is going to be dissapointed if he can't come. I know the Baker Street pub will not allow anyone under 21. Not sure about the Fox and Hound but would assume its the same. Maybe they can be outside?

I know the Thunder Roadhouse Cafe next to Thunder Cycles allows kids and serves beer and has outside seating but I think Thursday night is Bike Night so may not be Cruiser Friendly.

I will do some checking on these two spots and see what their policy is.

We may have to meet up on Thursday and then go on a mission.

I will let you know what I find out.

Keith

I think that we should meet at Swadleys just once to check out the turnout that we get, and then decide from there. I have no preference either way, but at least that way we can see how many people show up, age differences, etc. But i'll be there where ever you guys decide.
see ya on the trails,
Scott

You guys need to find a place like Rudy's Barbeque like down in Austin, or Papa's Barbeque in Dallas. I think Rudy's in opening a place up in Norman soon, but I don't know what the store layout would be like. Maybe Bret can check it out when it opens, and let you know if it would accomodate outside seating, under cover.

Did some recon....

OK, Stopped by both Fox and Hound and Baker St. and they are both 21 and up, even outside. Has to do with the new No smoking in Restaurants law that they do it that way.

Anyway, Let's stay at Swadleys for this meeting and guage turnout and other possible places to go. I did stop in at Thunder Cycles and they allow kids, serve beer, and have lots of parking, oh and the food is decent with lots of options. But, Thursdays are bike night but may be a good option if we move the night.

So for now, See everyone at Swadleys on the 14th at 6:30.

PS: Who's Blue and White FJ55 goes up McArthur every morning around 7:45 am??

Later!
Keith

landcruiserdude said:
You guys need to find a place like Rudy's Barbeque like down in Austin, or Papa's Barbeque in Dallas. I think Rudy's in opening a place up in Norman soon, but I don't know what the store layout would be like. Maybe Bret can check it out when it opens, and let you know if it would accomodate outside seating, under cover.

Lance, I think I drove by Rudy's off of HWY 9 going to the Sam Noble Museum of Natural History, but it looked like a gas station with a place to eat inside. It was packed though. I think it just opened too. BUT, that is a long drive, especially for the extreme northsiders around OKC. There's probably more clubmembers northward anyway.

Is Rudy's worth checking out food-wise? Their menu looked like standard BBQ. This Earl's Rib Palace that just opened down here by me in Moore's Riverwalk area has really good food, and would be a good place to meet, but it is only convenient to me.

So, Swadley's it is!

Swadley's it is then (again)!!

See you guys then.

I think we should try and generate a lot of noise to get as many peeps as possible...Bo's idea of getting the Land Rover guys involved might be pretty cool. We'll just have to resist making fun of them...hehe...JK Bo! ;)

Cheers,
Matt

Hehe, as long as it's got 4 wheel drive! Should be fun, with a mix of 4X4 enthusiasts :)

See you guys there! Just got to figure out which truck I should take... my cruiser or my rover...hmmm

Bo

Reminder....

Tomorrow night, Thursday Sept. 14, Swadleys BBQ, North of Memorial just West of Penn.

Hope to see you all there,

Keith

Rusults!

[FONT=verdana, arial]First, Thanks Keith for pushing the meetup date and making it so...

The resurrected OKC meetup was a success ( I call it meetup for meaning a get together and not a meeting since there's no offical meeting actions/voting)
[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial]

Not a big turn out like we expected but it was nice to put some faces on those forum handles.
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial] Getting to know everyong was great. Open for disucession is the next meeting location next month (2nd Thursday, October 12th) located at Hooters on NW expressway. Evidently they have beer and allow kids, being a family place and all. Everyone at this meeting said Kudos so Let slate it for Hooters.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial]
We are also going to plan for a river run on the North Canadian River. Starting from I-40 & Martin Luther King Bvld going north to 63rd ST. Approx run time 2 1/2 hours but you can exit at anytime on the main road crossings throughout. I'm going to check it out with Chris B. as he runs that trail quite often. He says you would be amazed how scenic it is, that you'll feel like somewhere far up north

I would like to find out if it's legal before we make it a club meetup. Don't want be anywhere if it's going be an environmental issue ;) We'll keep you posted on the progress. But this will be good way get out nearby and stretch those springs and give newbies a chance to experience off road & feel the addiction :)
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial]
Attendess:
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial]
Bo[TaipanSnake] - 97 Land Rover DI
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial]
Matt[meluhha] - his 60 is on blocks, so drove his other daily.
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial]
Bob[Spider]& his Wife from Canada - 75 FJ40 - Desmogged and really cool
upright winch.
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial]
Kieth[NuOkie]& his 2 sons - shinny clean 69 FJ40
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial]
Scott[senorscott] 97 LX450 ( he just added red 2 inch coils this morning and looks sweet!)
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial]
Chris B. - Rover is in shop, so drove his bad a** motorcyle. It was sweet!
[/FONT]

Bo-Thanks again for organizing this...lets breath some life back into the OKC GCC chapter!

Oh and at some point maybe I should pay some dues...:grinpimp:

For those that didn't make it this time, you should really plan on coming out for next month's meetup.

Besides actually planning a little wheeling and gawking at each others rides (okay so my honda wasn't gawked at too much--'cept fot the LC license plate holder), we also discussed having our very own WAT (Wrench-a-thon). This is basically where someone volunteers up their garage for anyone who needs some work done. We get together and try and fix/upgrade/etc. and drink some beer.

So the next time anyone gets something new (lift/headers/whatever) and wants some help installing them then post up here or on the GCC forum and we'll plan a WAT. I'll gladly offer up my tools, time, and garage as the guini-pig (sp?) if'n y'all want.

Cheers,
Matt

I hoped that I could make it over for the meeting. A little far to drive but wanted to meet more of the OKC group. Sounds like a great get together.

That wrenching party sounds pretty cool. Wish I was closer.

Maybe I can make the next one.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom