Okay fab gurus, hit me (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cdaniel

Undocumented Mechanic-I Am Not CDAN
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
zot-art.com
Being a mechanical designer by profession, I've got a pretty good idea what works, but I'm no engineer. Sometimes what works is found after some R&D attempts to get it right. My metal work skills are still intermediate, but I'm getting there. I could use some experience fab guys input.

I'm creating motor mount brackets for a SBC with stock GM mounts from scratch. I've got them tacked up and am at a decision point.

Bolt on or weld on?

I like the idea of being able to remove and repair or replace if necessary. Does the design look strong enough if I use two bolts sleeved thru the frame to hold it on? All the material is 3/16 thick.

The previous AA mounts that were here were bolt on thru one wall, but I haven't been to impressed with how they held up to long term abuse.

Or better to just weld them to the scab plate.
dmounttackmark.jpg

I'd likely bolt them first, and when I'm sure I'm happy I'd weld them for extra strength.

Yes, it would be overkill... But so is my 1/8" steel tub.:D

I vote weld.

i'd go with 1/4" plate and blue glue

Blue glue = weld

:cheers:

Weld it up, but ditch the square plates. Cracks propagate from square corners.

Blue glue=Arc weld.
Right! I was wondering if I was getting the fab club initiation. Like a snipe hunt or something.:p

Rusty, good to know about the corners.
No right angles? Chamfer the corners of what I've got?

No votes for bolts so far, interesting.

Rusty, good to know about the corners.
No right angles? Chamfer the corners of what I've got?

No votes for bolts so far, interesting.

Round the corners of your scab plates and where the motor mounts weld to the scab plates. The sharp corners in those areas have a higher potential to develop cracks than rounded corners.

Were those mine I'd add a flange across the top of the frame too. Probably with gussets to the plate under the motor mounts.

Nice work on the mounts BTW. Was planning to do my V8 conversion mounts like that too (if the diesel swap doesn't happen). Got some drawings of those so's I can make a set for myself without redoing all your hard work? :D

Just kiddin'! I'll work it out when I get there.

Nick

Got some drawings of those so's I can make a set for myself without redoing all your hard work? :D

Just kiddin'! I'll work it out when I get there.

Nick

It's all cut to fit anyhow. Except my main plate, happy to share the cad file for your favorite water jet guy to use. :wrench:
mountparts.jpg

Weld it up, but ditch the square plates. Cracks propagate from square corners.

You do realize you refered to squares having sex... sorry, must be the wine... :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom