OK to put fuel tanks inside? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
with all these discussions about the difficulty of adding long-range fuel tanks (at least on the 80), one would wonder if it would be much easier to add one inside in the back.
Obviously, there is a fire-in-case-of-accident issue. So that's not great.
But I was wondering if there are also any regulations or other reasons not to do that? Are there trucks having those out there, e.g. in Oz? One does see the extra tanks in pickup beds all the time out here on commercial trucks.
(this is more curiosity than thinking about doing it myself, admittedly. I would go with Jerry cans outside instead.)
Jus' wonderin'....

Jonathan_Ferguson said:
To be legal, all Fuels(Diesel, Petrol) must be carried within the Vehicle. - On the Roof, or on the rear Bumper is illegal. :cheers:

you're serious?
never would have thought that would be the case...

I remember reading about these aussie bladders for the quarter panels, but I guess that would be for water?

e9999 said:
you're serious?
never would have thought that would be the case...

I think Jonathan means within the vehicle as in, for example, subtanks between the frame rails, just not hanging off the outside of the body. I don't think he means _inside_ the passenger cabin of the vehicle.

Arya Ebrahimi said:
Jonathan also lives in Australia, where I imagine their laws might differ slightly from the US

so it seems, right is left, in is out, North is South, Winter is Summer, and they claim their women are prettier.... :D

Gas inside...strikes me as a patently BAD idea.

I've carried 5 gallons inside a time or two. I think it's a bad idea, but you do what you have to. The Wedco cans seal so tight, that there are no detectable fumes. I also have made it a habit to put the fuel in the tank th moment there is room to do so. I would never carry a traditional gas can or jerry can inside. The fumes would be overpowering.

dclee said:
I think Jonathan means within the vehicle as in, for example, subtanks between the frame rails, just not hanging off the outside of the body. I don't think he means _inside_ the passenger cabin of the vehicle.
I'm certain, that fuel must be carried/stored in an Australian/New Zealand Safty Standards container, and must be transported within the confines of the Vehicles body.

I can't find the information about it. :doh:
Commonwealth of Australia
State of Victoria

i'll get some more info

My grandparents did this for years but keep in mind they are crazy.

They are/were rockhounds that used a late 60s suburban on their trips through the deserts of Utah and Nevada. They had a spare tank mounted behind the 3rd seat that held 50 gallons. It's been 20 years since they sold it so I'm sure my memory is failing me but I don't remember any fumes. They did have it wrappend in a thick movers blanket, not sure why.

I'll get more info from them this weekend but I know they traveled 1000s of miles over the life of that vehicle on rough desert roads and never had any issues. Then again driving for 10hours to dig up rocks isn't my thing and seems bizarre. Maybe they liked the fumes.
dmc

The 40 series had the tank inside (more like "inside") for quite a long while..

My grandpa put a home-made camper on a Datsun king cab to drive around the country doing family tree work. He mounted a 2nd tank vertically behind the front seats the width of the truck. .. he was kind of an outside-the-box sort of guy and definitely not crazy. Ended up rebuilding the engine out in the middle of nowhere under an oak tree at a farm of one of his distant relatives. good times

Race cars have tanks inside all the time. My brother's 1960 p/u had the tank behind the seat.

I would check the legalilty, then get a fuel cell from Summit or Jegs and vent everything to the outside with braided line.

I looked long and hard about a second tank in the bed of my Taco before I sold it. During the process I found a local guy that would custom make aluminum tanks. I had one made for my 40. Not sure what I'll end up doign on the 80. A member of my club use the aux tank plumbing and made his own tank to fit between the frame rails. He said he was into it less than $700 for the entire setup. Inside the 80 is definitely and option however it can be done safely.
dmc

I dont see how it would be any easier to propperly mount a tank inside than to use the OEM sub tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom