OK, time for changes (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guess what this is?
DSC03297.jpg
DSC03301.jpg
DSC03302.jpg

Lookin' good! Seems like I remember you had minitruck p/s before? I like the looks of that Borgeson shaft - where did you get it? What are you doing for your drag link?

Yes, the mini worked for a few years, but it was on its last leg, spewing oil on the header every now and then. Cough-cough. On top of that the Center link was going bad and giving me some of that death wobble. Not good.

For the steering rod, I have an 80 TRE on the steering box end and regular FJ40 TRE thread on the drivers side end, both with jam nuts. For the mount, I have 1/4 scab plates on each side of the frame. I am working on the sleeves and the steering column next. (Waiting for the coating to dry on the frame for a couple of weeks).

These are the parts: (all from IPOR) :eek:

Re-manufactured Toyota FJ60 Box
Borgeson shaft with all of the joints
Steering column support bearing
Flat pitman arm
80 TRE
Custom draglink 80 to 40

1/4x5x16 Steel
Steel tube (for sleeves)

A few steps closer. Tack in the sleeves, file the steering shaft a little more and clean up some of the surface rust to complete the steering column. Hopefully welding the plates on this weekend!

DSC03399.jpg

DSC03401.jpg

borat.jpg

Sleeves are in! Ready to weld the plates on after the fender is trimmed so I can drive to the shop that has a heavier duty welder...

DSC03417.jpg

DSC03449.jpg

DSC03427.jpg

Last edited:
the shop is ready when you are:bounce::bounce2::bounce2::clap:

:hillbilly: Bib is on. Bumper tomorrow night. I may take you up on that Wed night. I just need about 1/2 hour. Git'er done before Thursday's snow.

do you have a cooler?

No Cooler for the steering, just the for the beer. :beer:

I am going to get one put in there for summer. Good point Matt.

I am now waiting for stock TREs (555) and Ford F250 shock towers to come in.

Almost done. :steer:

What do you have in mind? I asked because my pump started growling on Argentine Pass before I had a cooler in it. Ideally I want to use a replica of the OE 40 series cooler that mounts horizontally on the frame. That should provide adequate cooling. I'll have to make it myself though, wouldn't want to chop an OE one up.

Oh, yeah.

Cooler is on. Ready for hot temps.

2012-04-05_20-23-48_493.jpg

2012-04-07_21-45-43_310.jpg

Cool. Did you have to drill any holes to mount it?

subzali said:
Cool. Did you have to drill any holes to mount it?

Just those zip tie radiator things that you thread through the fins. That and some padding in case of bib flex.

Last edited:
I mounted my cooler in the same location, but used two 1/4" thick x 1" wide pieces of aluminum strap bolted to the radiator frame, running side to side. Then I bolted the cooler to the pieces of strap by the cooler's upper and lower flanges. I didn't want to mess with holes in the fins. Sorta like this:

---------------------------
[____] <-- this should be centered, can't get it to stay in center

Nice job on the box mount fj40.

Last edited:
I mounted my cooler in the same location, but use two 1/4" thick x 1" wide pieces of aluminum strap bolted to the radiator frame, running side to side. Then I bolted the cooler to the pieces of strap by the cooler's upper and lower flanges. I didn't want to mess with holes in the fins. Sorta like this:

[____] <-- this should be centered, can't get it to stay in center

Nice job on the box mount fj40.

Wise choice! The plastic pins through the rad core will wear through the thin copper tubes especially when they get normal road grit on them. Takes a while but it will happen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom