Ok this sounds like a rip off to me. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I went by my local Toyota dealer which I try to do very rarely, to pick up an AC belt and when I got that fixed they looked and found that my AC compressor clutch is broken. They said this would be a 400 dollar job. I am assuming that is why when I am running the truck and and I press the ac button the car shuts off because the clutch is broken. So I left their with the thought of 400 dollars to fix the much needed AC here in ATL this summer. So my question is this hard to do myself? Or is this a rip off? I know that dealers suck and I have proof of it when I went in there today, they said because my ABS light is on they needed to drain my brake fluid and re fill it. Well I know that is a bunch of crap because the problem is one of my sensors is broken not that I need to drain and refill my brake fluid. So I am asking for yalls opinions because I feel like I can't ever trust dealerships ever.

P.S. It also pissed me off because I showed them my Georgia Cruisers card and my TLCA card and they didn't give me a discount on any parts. But that is another story I guess.

:cheers:
Josh

stuck in GA said:
So I am asking for yalls opinions because I feel like I can't ever trust dealerships ever.
P.S. It also pissed me off because I showed them my Georgia Cruisers card and my TLCA card and they didn't give me a discount on any parts. But that is another story I guess.
Josh

Josh,

These guys need to make money in order to keep selling Toyotas. Not everybody has the wherewithall to do their own work and rely on dealers to do that work. You need to find out exactly what is wrong that will cost $400. Sure, you can buy your own parts and do the work yourself, though you'll likely need an AC shop to recover and recharge the freon if the repair requires that the system be opened. Its real simple....compare the detail of their proposed repair with your own estimate and make a decision.

As for getting parts discounts, unless somebody from your club has made the arrangement, I am sure flipping out your membership card isn't going to do much for you, so why should that surprise you? It pays to plan ahead and buy your parts from CDan.

Sounds like if you don't have time to do the AC belt yourself you probably don't have time for the clutch, plus, do you know how much the parts are, normally you can deduct how time consuming a project is from cost of parts vs. overall job??? Just some thoughts, I didn't even know that the compressor had a clutch so what the hell do I know.............

Why don't you take it to Urban Land Cruisers? They are in your neck of the woods.

:D

wob said:
Why don't you take it to Urban Land Cruisers? They are in your neck of the woods.

:D

Damn Will. LMAO :D

First off I didn't have time to do the AC belt because I am leaving to go out of town in a little while so thats that. Also my club did make arangements with dealerships in Atlanta for discounts so that is justified as well. As far ULC I might take it to him but he is busy a lot so I wanted to see if I can do it myself. My only question was is this a rip off for putting in a new ac clutch? That is it. And if I can do this myself easily and save money?!

I kid, I kid.

stuck in GA said:
I am assuming that is why when I am running the truck and and I press the ac button the car shuts off because the clutch is broken.

Why assume? Why don't you just ask them if that is why?

I posted a question a few weeks ago about replacement of the magnetic clutch on the AC compressor, and don't recall getting much feedback as to the actual replacement itself. So I assume (although I didn't ask) not many folks have had to do this. Have you browsed through the proceedure in the FSM? There are a couple of SST's it looks like you need in order to get the pressure plate off. If there's a way to get around that part of it, it looks relatively easy. Don't know how much the replacement parts are.

Rookie2

I'd have to look at mine, but I seem to recall that the clutch/pully itself is attached with 3 bolts to the face of the AC compressor....

I WILL wager that the parts are $250 list and the labor is 1.5 hours at $100 a hour....

be worth a call to cbizkit and see what the accurate pricing is on the part, and spend a minute-three under the hood and see if ya can figger out how that assembly works...the compressor "should" be able to remain in place, but even if it has to come off, leave the lines attached so you don't have to recharge.

Stuck

You said the whole truck would cut off when you turned on the AC??? Literally??
Lately, the gauge fuse on my truck has been blowing when I turn on the AC causing all the gauges except the fuel gauge to go to zero. Is this what you mean?

I think he may be hitting the button and stalling..quite a broken part :)

Yeah Steve I would have the air blowing and then when I press the AC button in the whole car will shut off (aka stop running completely) and it will do this as long as that AC button is pressed in. It sounds by the estimates that yall are giving me that it is worth taking somewhere and getting it fixed considering yalls total estimates are around 350-400 bucks. We will see. I am leaving for a trip this weekend so it will have to wait but I will figure it out when I get back. Thanks for the input!

Call cbizkit and ask what the new parts cost. Doing this yourself should be fairly straight forward, but not sure how much you work on your truck (can't remember). If the part goes 2fity then 1-1/2 bean fo labo is prob about what day bee chargin.

CPJONES1231 said:
List on the clutch is $210.00 you can install it yourself pretty easily, I can get you one for $150.00 plus shipping new in the box.

Casey

and access to TSB's too. Casey you don't by any chance....

...work in the parts department of a Toyota dealer??

Is Casey a new CDan? Hey Casey I might have to take you up on that offer. I will PM ya when I get back from my trip next week. Thanks a bunch man!

The A/C switch causes the engine to stop running. Like stalling, or like turns off like with the key? It won't restart with the button in right? will it turn over with the button in and not catch, or it won't turn over? If you unplug the clutch harness at the compressor, will it do the same thing?

Just sounds strange to me. It could be, but I'd kinda like to know why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom