Ok, so what is *wrong* with the factory steering setup for an 80 (and similar)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi-steer, etc. seems to be big topic in the US.

So what's wrong with the factory steering design? I'm looking at it from the point of view of my 80 as a DD doing some off-roading but not any heavy duty hardcore type stuff (rock crawling, etc).

Why wouldn't toyota have adopted hi-steer straight up if it's supposed to be so good?

They are functional and fine for a DD with light weekend wheeling as is.

Toyota did a couple things right with the steering, including putting the tie rod out back, but here are the more common issues:
  • tie rod hits radius arms with caster correction required from lifting in some scenarios
  • steering arms can work loose, should have designed a structural/mechanical interface to keep from twisting under forces, whereas they are secured with bolts which can work loose
  • drag link is kind of tight to "lateral control rod" with some mods, and then more mods take place.
  • TRE's are adequate and robust for factory and similar sized tires, 37"+ tires place more stress on components.
  • Even with the tie rod behind the axle you can still have it up higher and out of harms way
  • The flatter your drag link, the less bump steer. The higher the drag link connection, the flatter the drag link.
  • Steering failure is critical. Better to have too much than too little in this department.
  • Hydraulic assist is necessary for the way some folks wheel their junk. If your doing that you may as well beef other components up
  • Oversized components are cheap in comparison to a ride home on a tow truck/recovery.

basically, nothing that matters as @sunrk is in Aus and anything that would require hi steer is illegal there anyways. And i'm sure hi steer itself would require some silly bureaucratic hoops to get approval for anyways.

Hi steer won't and isn't intended to solve any issue for a truck in stock form. You mess with a ton of geometry when you depart from stock lift height. Aftermarket problems require
SmartSelect_20230121-105128_Google.jpg
aftermarket solutions

Hi steer won't and isn't intended to solve any issue for a truck in stock form. You mess with a ton of geometry when you depart from stock lift height. Aftermarket problems requireView attachment 3225466 aftermarket solutions
This is a 10/10 post

basically, nothing that matters as @sunrk is in Aus and anything that would require hi steer is illegal there anyways. And i'm sure hi steer itself would require some silly bureaucratic hoops to get approval for anyways.

Right you are.

Australia chooses to limit the number of redneck engineered nun killing machines on public roads, and so far, there's been no busloads of nuns killed. :lol:

You could have all individual non original steering components tested and approved for use as part of an approved engineered system, then the vehicle would have to also go through testing and engineer certification to certify safety at highway speeds had not been reduced from that of the original design, and that it passes minimum requirements.
Cost makes it unrealistic for most manufacturers and most individual owners.

A 6" lifted 80 with three link front, slinky springs and no sway bars is unlikely to pass the tests, high steer or not

People who choose to lift there 4x4 are a fairly small portion of the population generally. And every time some toddler gets squashed in the driveway by an inattentive soccer mum, or dad who's moving the car while on the phone, the rest of the population and media demonises 4x4s in an urban environment (seems like this happens every few years)

Hi steer won't and isn't intended to solve any issue for a truck in stock form. You mess with a ton of geometry when you depart from stock lift height. Aftermarket problems requireView attachment 3225466 aftermarket solutions

This is a 10/10 post

I agree with both these.

About the only thing 'wrong' with stock 80 steering is the sector shaft is prone to damage.
Toyota rectified this with the 105 series.

Modify and use your 80 beyond Toyota's intended capability/use (pretty broad) and all bets are off

Right you are.

Australia chooses to limit the number of redneck engineered nun killing machines on public roads, and so far, there's been no busloads of nuns killed. :lol:

You could have all individual non original steering components tested and approved for use as part of an approved engineered system, then the vehicle would have to also go through testing and engineer certification to certify safety at highway speeds had not been reduced from that of the original design, and that it passes minimum requirements.
Cost makes it unrealistic for most manufacturers and most individual owners.

A 6" lifted 80 with three link front, slinky springs and no sway bars is unlikely to pass the tests, high steer or not

People who choose to lift there 4x4 are a fairly small portion of the population generally. And every time some toddler gets squashed in the driveway by an inattentive soccer mum, or dad who's moving the car while on the phone, the rest of the population and media demonises 4x4s in an urban environment (seems like this happens every few years)

Im surprised you guys are allowed to have scissors.

I reduced the lift in my 80 some years back from 5 inch to 3 inch but it was due to any soccer mum pressurisation, but due to death rattles making me understand steering geometry a lot more. Having said that, soccer mums are generally hot but I've never had the joy of dating any. ;)

The idea of hi-steer has always interested but also has the idea of 'flipping' the radius arms over. But I understand both have very practical limitations which is the classic 'convenience comes with a price' argument.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom