Ok so I replaced my fuel sender unit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
...and i turned on the engine. Was I supposed to bleed the air out of the fuel pump somehow? it struggled to turnover the first time, but now it's as good as new.

Do I have to worry about air in the fuel pump? sorry im an idiot.

You should be fine now. The air entered into the system is pushed out through the injectors

You should be fine now. The air entered into the system is pushed out through the injectors
awesome - thank you!! I assume if i ever have to replace the fuel pump i'll just do the same thing and try to start it, right? or is there a proper way to purge the air?

I’m nearing 300K and wondering about replacing the fuel filter in the tank. Did you have issues with the previous or is this a preventative maintenance dealio for you?

If it’s PM, any difference?

I’m nearing 300K and wondering about replacing the fuel filter in the tank. Did you have issues with the previous or is this a preventative maintenance dealio for you?

If it’s PM, any difference?
isn't the fuel filter in the engine bay? or are you referring to the fuel pump strainer? I did not have any issue (that i know of) with the fuel filter in my current truck, nor my late '99.

I think my fuel sender went out due to what abuck99 said in the comment below. in fact I know that's what happened bc when I moved the float arm up and down, it made no noise - whereas the new one has audible clicks as it moves. i probably wont do any preventative maintenance on the fuel system.

Float, sender and pump are all in one frame. The fuel sender/float has an arm swipes across a surface of a series of raised electrodes- which wear down over time and will read erratic fuel level.

Try a new sender, and since you have the pump out (if it’s original), prob time for a new one as well.

View attachment 3032574

My 2000 has an issue with the sending unit. It sometimes show I am on reserve.. Ok.. I got a new sender unit in my shopping cart at partsouq.com: Well, didn't see the faulty sender symptoms anymore! The pump is still factory, but I carry an extra OEm used pump with my tool kit.

My 2000 has an issue with the sending unit. It sometimes show I am on reserve.. Ok.. I got a new sender unit in my shopping cart at partsouq.com: Well, didn't see the faulty sender symptoms anymore! The pump is still factory, but I carry an extra OEm used pump with my tool kit.
that's a good idea. i'm going to buy a spare pump too, just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom