Ok, now what? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got the cir clip off, but the upper bracket/ignition switch won't budge. What's the trick to get this bugger off?

1977 FJ40
image-1469188980.jpg

Did you remove the screws on the back side?

Yep. Screws out.

Does the ignition core need to be pulled to release a locking mechanism? Or should I just wack it from behind with the rubber mallet?

Ok, so this is how she's going to sleep in the driveway tonight. I can't get that bearing to budge. If anyone has some useful insight it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
image-2956683652.jpg

Mine was a mixture of a pipe and a dremel. I beat the $hit out of my bearing and it wouldn't budge. I heated it, lubed it... Finally gave in and hit up the pluimbing aisle of Lowe's and got the right diamter pipe to beat it out...

Jonny

IIRC i used the steering column tube to slam into the ignition to get that bearing out. probably wasn't the best way but it worked.

Ok there is a ring clip on the other side of the bearing so it looks like you have to pull the bearing to get to the second one. I am looking at the Haynes manual.
I would disconnect the rag joint and see what play you can get. Perhaps if you push up on the shaft the retainer will push out the bearing. Maybe use a pair of vise grips and a hammer.
The bearing should be in there tight but not BFH tight.

I hope you figure this out because I have to do it soon.

Drip some macine oil between the shaft and the bearing and bang on it a few times with a rubber mallet, it will loosen things up and the whole unit will slide off. This worked for me.

Drip some macine oil between the shaft and the bearing and bang on it a few times with a rubber mallet, it will loosen things up and the whole unit will slide off. This worked for me.

Wish that would have worked for me... I googled "remove stuck bearing" and tried every trick I could find, until I just said "screw it" and went medieval on it :hillbilly:

Jonny

Ok, this one turned out to be one of those classic "right tool for the job" moments.

Bearing was off in less than 10 seconds.
8" gear puller from Harbor Freight : $20
image-2775080420.jpg
image-4108601414.jpg
image-3783969087.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom