OK I read the long Tesla screen thread and looked up the VLine2 but I'm still confused on my 2007 LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First of all, there are multiple versions of the Tesla screen. There's one without physical buttons for climate control and one with. Some folks say the one with the physical buttons doesn't activate the defrosters. And then when I look on PhoenixAutomotive's website, under compatibility it shows that my version of the ML NAV won't work. UGH! I'm not afraid of tech. I've built my own 7.2.4 dedicated home theater and I build my own PC's instead of buying them. So I'm not afraid of configuring and wiring the thing so long as I know the bloody thing will work!

My unit:
2007 LX470.jpg

Phoenix Compatibility Image:
Phoenix can not install on 2007.jpg

As for the GROM VLine2, it states on the website that it's only good for up to the 2006 models. I have the 2007. So what gives with that?

I know folks say do the conversion to non-nav. But that's super laborious and I really would prefer to not spend the time and expense. I'm not looking for audiophile sound although I do appreciate good sound. I've got a Helix P Six DSP MKII and Stereo Integrity speakers and sub in another vehicle. I doubt I could get a Helix to work with the Phoenix unit as it doesn't have preamp outputs (yes I know I can use the line level conversion).

I'm just a little frustrated and confused after reading through so many threads.

Are you .... asking for help? Looking for sympathy? Just ranting?

Your post isn't too clear as to how to respond. Not criticizing, just seeking feedback.

Are you .... asking for help? Looking for sympathy? Just ranting?

Your post isn't too clear as to how to respond. Not criticizing, just seeking feedback.
Sorry I’m trying to figure out if the Phoenix actually does work with my 2007 despite the website saying no on that particular model. They have so many versions. Maybe I’m looking at the wrong one?

All U.S. 2003-2007 LX's have the same bezel/setup that you have in your 2007. So I would feel good about it fitting my 2007 if it is compatible with a 2006, from a physical standpoint. There were some changes with the passenger seatbelt light around 1/2016, but don't think that comes into play in your situation. I've done both; post 2003 Nav delete as well as run the Grom VL2. For your situation, I would strongly consider the Grom solution. It's going to cost a fraction of the nav delete option (roughly $600 vs 2k or more) and can be installed in 30 minutes. The drawback is you will still be using our old factory screen, but the resolution is OK. The VL2 is quite a bit faster than the VL1 and it can also support wireless Carplay.

All U.S. 2003-2007 LX's have the same bezel/setup that you have in your 2007. So I would feel good about it fitting my 2007 if it is compatible with a 2006, from a physical standpoint. There were some changes with the passenger seatbelt light around 1/2016, but don't think that comes into play in your situation. I've done both; post 2003 Nav delete as well as run the Grom VL2. For your situation, I would strongly consider the Grom solution. It's going to cost a fraction of the nav delete option (roughly $600 vs 2k or more) and can be installed in 30 minutes. The drawback is you will still be using our old factory screen, but the resolution is OK. The VL2 is quite a bit faster than the VL1 and it can also support wireless Carplay.
Thanks. I really like the Tesla style display but I'm only willing to try if I know it works with certainty for my 2007. I've emailed Phoenix Automotive but I've yet to hear back. We shall see how they reply.

In the meantime I found Australia has the Teyes headunit. But I have no idea if the HVAC controls are integrated into their unit or not. It shows their configuration C as being compatible with what looks like my existing Sat Nav, but I don't know if their vehicles down under have a separate HVAC control panel. I've also emailed them.
Teyes head uit link

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't touch those cheap Tesla-immitation screen systems with a 10 foot pole. Way too cheap for something that complex and integrated. If a reputable brand released something like that it'd be $2500+ and with good reason. No back up cam compatibility? No thank you. And no preouts.

My .02: Try the grom VL2 or go deep and do the non-nav conversion. I've got the VL2 and it's pretty good for how simple it is to install.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't touch those cheap Tesla-immitation screen systems with a 10 foot pole. Way too cheap for something that complex and integrated. If a reputable brand released something like that it'd be $2500+ and with good reason. No back up cam compatibility? No thank you. And no preouts.

My .02: Try the grom VL2 or go deep and do the non-nav conversion. I've got the VL2 and it's pretty good for how simple it is to install.
Thanks for the input. Yes, the Tesla screens are very complex and no they don't don't work with the oem back up cam, although a more contemporary back up cam would offer far better resolution. Nope no preouts, although to be honest I've heard several very well put together systems using the line level outs to a good quality converter and they sounded just fine. I guess it comes down to do I want to futz with all the settings and possible complications of incompatibility.

Re the Grom VL2, the website states its for up to 2006. It doesn't say anything about 2007.

Thanks for the input. Yes, the Tesla screens are very complex and no they don't don't work with the oem back up cam, although a more contemporary back up cam would offer far better resolution. Nope no preouts, although to be honest I've heard several very well put together systems using the line level outs to a good quality converter and they sounded just fine. I guess it comes down to do I want to futz with all the settings and possible complications of incompatibility.

Re the Grom VL2, the website states its for up to 2006. It doesn't say anything about 2007.
GROM LEX4VL2 specifically lists ‘07 LX470 compatibility.

Have you perused the threads on here about folks removing their "Tesla" screen radios? There were many folks that went through the trouble of installing only to then rip it all back out because the dysfunction of the system was unbearable. It's not just that it's missing some features of modern stereos, it's also that it freezes. Or fails to command HVAC correctly. Or displays funny. Or wont load. Or XYZ. It works - mostly. For a command center of audio and HVAC, that's not good enough. Those were all short term failures/issues, too. Imagine what success rates will be in 5 years of summer/winters and humidity.

VL2 and 2007. I think that's strictly a typo. Select LX470 and it pulls up the VL2. They make stuff for a long list of vehicles. They probably didn't realize they left out the 07LX in their description. The line that says through 06 is intended for ALL Lexus models, not just the LX. I do similar things with my key fobs (although I prioritize the LC/LX crowd because you all are awesome). I use the common model, or the one I designed it for as the year cut off. Models may apply outside that range, but my description might cut it short. Compatibility charts and lists are long and complicated. It's likely they just missed it.

The part numbers for the display unit as a whole are identical for 06 and 07 according to ToyoDIY. I would be shocked if 07 was incompatible.

Have you perused the threads on here about folks removing their "Tesla" screen radios? There were many folks that went through the trouble of installing only to then rip it all back out because the dysfunction of the system was unbearable. It's not just that it's missing some features of modern stereos, it's also that it freezes. Or fails to command HVAC correctly. Or displays funny. Or wont load. Or XYZ. It works - mostly. For a command center of audio and HVAC, that's not good enough. Those were all short term failures/issues, too. Imagine what success rates will be in 5 years of summer/winters and humidity.

VL2 and 2007. I think that's strictly a typo. Select LX470 and it pulls up the VL2. They make stuff for a long list of vehicles. They probably didn't realize they left out the 07LX in their description. The line that says through 06 is intended for ALL Lexus models, not just the LX. I do similar things with my key fobs (although I prioritize the LC/LX crowd because you all are awesome). I use the common model, or the one I designed it for as the year cut off. Models may apply outside that range, but my description might cut it short. Compatibility charts and lists are long and complicated. It's likely they just missed it.

The part numbers for the display unit as a whole are identical for 06 and 07 according to ToyoDIY. I would be shocked if 07 was incompatible.

Yes the glitches and freezes would be the main reason I would avoid the Tesla screen. I'm really comfortable with tech but I absolutely hate stuff that doesn't work right. I'd rather deal with a low rez screen and have the ability to use my CarPlay and all the apps anyway. Thanks for your input. I really appreciate you and all the other folks who chimed in.

I have a the VL2 in my 2006. I really think it's the perfect solution... for an 2006. I get that the resolution isn't great. But it's using the OE screen - which is 2006 tech in a 2006 truck. It's kind of "period correct". The truck doesn't have 20" wheels. It doesn't have intuitive cruise control, or lane assist or that annoying engine shut offonoffonoffon "feature". It's a 2006.

So, having the original look, buttons, screen AND wireless CarPlay... yeah - pretty solid solution... for a 2006.

I purchased a 2006 LX470 with the Tesla Radio in it about a year ago. It has worked well and I have had no issues, but today when I got in the truck, it is asking for a Pin# to unlock it?? I asked the previous owner if he ever set one, and he said no. I have tried 8860 and 8861 to no avail. Does anyone have any idea if there is a code to unlock it?

I am a new LX470 owner, a 2007 model. I've been reading and trying to learn about the aftermarket Tesla head unit and the Grom VL2. I get the pros and cons of each, but I really like the new tech of the Tesla PX6. I'm just on the fence and wondering if reliability has gotten better on these? Is an aftermarket backup camera hard to install? It seems the Grom is simpler an easier to install, but as mentioned above, the OE is 15 years old and resolution is just adequate.

Any opinions now as to which way a guy should go? I'm not real tech saavy, or a seasoned electronic installer and have only seen videos. I appreciate any insight.

2007 LX owner here - I'm using the VL2, exclusively use the wireless CarPlay function, and couldn't be happier. But, I don't like to "tinker" with the system (literally run Waze and streaming audio only). If you're wanting to watch videos, or play around with a ton of apps, the Factory Display is not going to have the resolution/touch accuracy you're looking for.

This is my wife's daily driver, so the ability to stream music, maps, maybe android auto. I have no intent to watch video, etc.

Thanks. I really like the Tesla style display but I'm only willing to try if I know it works with certainty for my 2007. I've emailed Phoenix Automotive but I've yet to hear back. We shall see how they reply.

In the meantime I found Australia has the Teyes headunit. But I have no idea if the HVAC controls are integrated into their unit or not. It shows their configuration C as being compatible with what looks like my existing Sat Nav, but I don't know if their vehicles down under have a separate HVAC control panel. I've also emailed them.
Teyes head uit link
I should be getting my 3rd unit from Phoenix. Let's just say they are in no hurry to help and/or fix my issue. If everyone who buys this Telsa Unit PX6 is having the same damn issue, on a "plug and play" unit mind you, then something is wrong on their end. I look forward to returning the 3rd unit in a couple weeks when it gets here and wait a few more weeks to get ALL 3 refunds from them...I really wanted this to work. I bet you will have the same issue with the T'eyes or Seicane or whatever coming from China. If only Alpine or Pioneer made something to work.... (I have a 2003 LC)

I am a new LX470 owner, a 2007 model. I've been reading and trying to learn about the aftermarket Tesla head unit and the Grom VL2. I get the pros and cons of each, but I really like the new tech of the Tesla PX6. I'm just on the fence and wondering if reliability has gotten better on these? Is an aftermarket backup camera hard to install? It seems the Grom is simpler an easier to install, but as mentioned above, the OE is 15 years old and resolution is just adequate.

Any opinions now as to which way a guy should go? I'm not real tech saavy, or a seasoned electronic installer and have only seen videos. I appreciate any insight.
The back up camera with the PX6 is the easy part.... works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom