OK I bought the truck, now... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I read reference to George's LEDs all over the forums, where do you get them?
Where is the best place to get the FSM?
Opinions on the K&N filters seam to vary. I have always used them, any reason not to use them on the 80?
I really like the idea of installing the Amsoil twin filter. Has anyone done this on their 80? Easy, moderate or hard?
The rig has original plug wires and distributer. Are there sudgestions for good after market wires? I will order the OEM distributer cap.
I see that American Toyota is a sponser here. Is their price good enough to make up for shipping?

Thats all for now. :cheers:

Fly Rod

Crusier Dan is the man for parts (American Toyota). Buy OEM parts. He'll give you a nice price and shipping is free over some (reasonable) dollar amount. He can get you the FSM too.

Charlie

Fly,
For your parts Dan is great source and very respected member on this site. I just placed my order for my FSM & EWD from him yesterday afternoon.

Fly Rod said:
Opinions on the K&N filters seam to vary. I have always used them, any reason not to use them on the 80?

If you drive in dusty conditions, stick with the Toyota paper filter. It does the job better than the oiled filters. If you insist on an oiled filter like the K&N then be very careful with the amount of oil as several have reported fouled air flow sensors due to the oil.

Fly Rod said:
I really like the idea of installing the Amsoil twin filter. Has anyone done this on their 80? Easy, moderate or hard?

If this is some type of oil bypass filter then check with instigator; he likes those canisters filled with toilet paper.

Fly Rod said:
The rig has original plug wires and distributer. Are there sudgestions for good after market wires? I will order the OEM distributer cap.
I see that American Toyota is a sponser here. Is their price good enough to make up for shipping?

Dan's price is very good in several ways. First, he gives a generous discount off of the published list price. We have discovered that several dealers use a price escalator, then they give a discount off of the higher price. Second, if you live outside of NM there is no sales tax. Third, if the order is over a certain amount ($100 ?) he picks up the shipping charges. Forth, you are likely to get the right part... with your local dealer it's a hit-n-miss proposition. And lastly, he is a huge contributor here on IH8MUD; not only in sponsorship but also with diagnostic help and advice.

You should only use Toyota plug wires and other tune-up parts; they work very well and they fit. Others have struggled with Bosch and non-Toyota and you can read all about their trials and tribulations if you care to do a search.

-B-

yep get a hold of Dan and order the FSM, consider the EWD also, I find it indispensable, also order the OEM Wires, they work great, fit perfectly come already mounted on looms and last a long time (remember your are the originals installed in Japan) stick with OEM parts, only stray for a true upgrade or modification or if the OEM part is to expensive (such as the $1,000 catalytic converter)

Info on K&N in a recent thread

I like Bypass filters they do clean more junk from the oil witch had benefits, weather or not this will have any tangible payback for you is debatable, the Amsoil dual remote filter is the easiest bypass filter to install but will somewhat reduce your oil pressure, trading oil pressure for a "maybe" is a bad choice IMO.

More info on the dual remote in a recent thread.

Fly Rod,

Congrats on the new rig! Be sure to look into doing the McGrew Trail Ride latter this summer. (South Eastern Oregon and a TLCA event!) I know of two maybe three 80’s out of the Portland area heading down for the event. (One for sure!:) )

Beowulf said:
Dan's price is very good in several ways. First, he gives a generous discount off of the published list price. We have discovered that several dealers use a price escalator, then they give a discount off of the higher price. Second, if you live outside of NM there is no sales tax. Third, if the order is over a certain amount ($100 ?) he picks up the shipping charges. Forth, you are likely to get the right part... with your local dealer it's a hit-n-miss proposition. And lastly, he is a huge contributor here on IH8MUD; not only in sponsorship but also with diagnostic help and advice.
-B-

One more reason for doing parts biz with CDan is not only does he speak 80, but he also purposely stocks some of the standby requested parts. I highly doubt any Toy dealer in the PDX area stocks the OE Center Dif lock switches! So the turn around time is the same for some of these parts since you would have to wait anyway for the special order to come in. (Then go back and pick it up) I even have a commercial account with the local dealer and they deliver for free, yet still have ordered a handful of parts from CDan.

Be sure to check out the Cascade Cruisers Web site and BBS for local Oregon TLCA and 4x4 run info! www.cascadecruisers.com

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom