Oily substance dripping on mud flap Solved (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Check the blinker fluid reservoir. Common problem. 🤓

It’s odd. Looks fresh with no dust. Backside of the mud flap. Nice truck, by the way 👍

Rear wheel seal? Is there oil on the inside of your tire getting thrown into the fender and leaking down the mudflap?
No gear oil smell. No other drippings.

Looks very clear and yellow tinted. You can’t follow to see where it’s coming from?

Have you ever applied a Fliud Film/ WoolWax type product to the undercarriage or in empty voids under this vehicle?

This is becoming quite intriguing because it seems like we’re running out of ideas on what it is! The only logical next step is to lick it and tell us what it taste like.

Curious about its color.
Wipe a bit onto a white paper towel to see more clearly…

Any of the roads covered with mag chloride? If so, and if it rained and you hit a puddle, that stuff goes back into solution.

Maybe the fuel tank burped, and it's the breather dumped some fuel? I would clean it off, check the shock and see if it reappears.

It really looks to be something leaking from the inside, it may have weep holes that allow liquid/water out but not in above that area. I would remove the panels in that qtr and investigate.

Looks very clear and yellow tinted. You can’t follow to see where it’s coming from?

Have you ever applied a Fliud Film/ WoolWax type product to the undercarriage or in empty voids under this vehicle?

Nothing has been applied.

I'd go with axle seal, but that will have telltale signs on the inside of the wheel and tire too.

I'd go with axle seal, but that will have telltale signs on the inside of the wheel and tire too.
And have a strong smell of gear oil

It’s on the backside of the mudflap.

Mep said it’s stopped leaking. Wouldn’t an axle seal continue to leak? My 4Runner did.

This is quickly becoming the best unsolved mystery thread since this one.

161DFB25-6C9F-4D16-BA9B-93FC03ABD94B.jpeg

IH8Mud Edition.

I took my truck back to Overland Cruisers in Bozeman, MT to look into this mystery. I had had my truck there for a service and fix the fuel tank venting issue. The venting issue was the venting filter was clogged in dirt. (A common issue) Since I was not all that far and they had been in that area it made sense to have them check the truck.

It turned out the liquid was gas. Apparently as the fuel tank was venting , gas went through the charcoal filter and had leaked out of the vent hose. The vent hos was heater hose and so the hose was degraded, due to the gas and was the source of the drip. It only happened that one time.

The liquid didn't smell like gas and felt oily probably due to passing through the charcoal filter and the degraded hose. They cleaned the filter again and replaced the heater hose with a fuel rated hose.

Mystery solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom