Oily fuel pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The bottom of my fuel pump (original mechanical pump on a '68 FJ40)
is dripping oil. Do I need a gasket or a FUEL PUMP and a GASKET? Thanks.

Unless the oil smells like gasoline, or you feel there is a fuel delivery problem at the carb, I'd suggest just getting the gasket. Or, did you try just tightening the bolts against the engine? As best as I can tell, if you had an internal leak, you'd be having a much bigger problem running your engine, in addition to a few drops of oil.

Fortunately, changing out a fuel pump is a :banana: job, so if there's more than just a leak at the engine boundary, you can replace the pump later if you have to.

Don't forget to throw some permatex on both sides of the gasket when you do it!

What's this "weep hole" thing, Gumby? I'm not seeing it labeled in the mechanical drawings from the Engine Manual. ???

little hole in the bottom of fuel pump, when the diaphram gets a hole/crack in it, fuel comes out the weep hole.....drip drip drip........

I think the point of the weep hole is so the fuel doesn't get into the oil if leaking internaly.....not sure just guessing.

older FP's are rebuildible, latter(79+ I think) are not, just get a new one

So the weep hole would drip gas, not oil?

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=8194;start=msg69332#msg69332 date=1070211219]
So the weep hole would drip gas, not oil?
[/quote]

thats what mine did.

Not all pumps have oil on one side of the diaphram and fuel on the other. Most have an air chamber between the two. If the oil seal is leaking, oil will get into the air chamber and cause problems. A weep hole will tell you if the oil seal is leaking before you have problems much like the weep hole on a water pump.
Having said that, I haven't seen a 2F fuel pump in some time and I don't really know if it has one or not. I just looked all over my shop for an example and the only mechanical pumps I have are sealed csb units.

FWIW, I had a ginormous oil leak problem a bit over two years ago. It was leaking so bad that I could see the oil kicking back up and getting all over my rear window on my FJ60... I couldn't figure out where it all was coming from so I took it to the stealership :slap: and they said they fixed it and that it was the oil pressure sending unit. Well after I got it back I was cruisin' up the freeway headin' home and low and behold, same thing with oil gettin' on the back window. I hurried and opened the hood and this time I could see oil just squirting out the underside of my fuel pump. Replaced the fuel pump and no more oil leak.

-Ferg-

How did they think a leaky oil pressure sending unit could get oil on the rear window of your 60? :eek:

BTW, I believe rgentry has a 1F (he has a '69), and the diagram shows no air chamber, just a diaphragm between the oil and fuel.

Sorry, Gumby, if I am coming across as being argumentative. Don't mean it that way at all! Just trying to understand. I was looking at a different schematic, and I'll scan it in a little later. I see what you mean from that drawing. :cheers:

So this is what I was looking at. I assumed all of the black area was liquid filled, but, as Gumby points out, there is an oil seal, so the middle black area is an air pocket. My bad :-[

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=8194;start=msg69389#msg69389 date=1070227367]
Sorry, Gumby, if I am coming across as being argumentative. Don't mean it that way at all! Just trying to understand. I was looking at a different schematic, and I'll scan it in a little later. I see what you mean from that drawing. :cheers:
[/quote]

Didn't take it as argumentative at all. i was just making sure you didn't think i was either. :D

You guys are awesome. I spent a day chopping wood and you guys
leave me a dissertation on oil pumps. I'll check tomorrow to see
whats leaking from the pump. It might be gas combined with oil
leaking from a thousand other places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom