Oil type/level is snorkel filter pan (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good Morning Owners,

Have an HJ62 with snorkel and metal filter with oil in it.... after opening it the other day, noticed that oil "appears" to be low ... does anyone know a) what type of oil needs to be in metal filter reservoir b) what is the level that I should have in there c) what typically happens if oil runs out?

Thank you advance

The oil is there to saturate the metal filter so that dust will cling to it. If there’s no oil, the filter won’t work very well.

Info found while searching the web:
( I personally have no experience with oil-bath air cleaners)

1. Oil-bath air cleaners often will have a fill line stamped into the oil reservoir.

2. If you can’t find the specification for the oil to use then as a general rule your oil-bath air cleaner will use the same type of oil as the lubricating oil in the engine.

The only thing I can add is that the oil bath filter in my VWs is the same as the engine oil.

Oil bath air filters were ultimately abandoned for 2 reasons - they aren't very effective against small particles, and they negatively affect emissions. If that is the only air filter on your engine, you might consider replacing it with a paper media type.

Thank you ... will
Oil bath air filters were ultimately abandoned for 2 reasons - they aren't very effective against small particles, and they negatively affect emissions. If that is the only air filter on your engine, you might consider replacing it with a paper media type.
Thank you, however abandoning is not an option ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom