Oil Type for 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting ready to do my first oil change on my recently acquired 77 FJ40.

Figured I'd poll you guys and see what type of oil (brand / weight) you guys put into your rigs.

My 2F has strong compression numbers but is original (not rebuilt). Climate here is temperate, no extremes in either direction.

Thanks!!

20W50 Castrol for old engines right now. I lighten up in the winter.

20 50 castrol is the standard for the 40

Although I might be switching to Rotella t

20/50? is that what the manual calls for?

What is with the Rotella stuff? I hear people even put it in their motorcycles too. Is it really good stuff?

Alot of truck drivers swear by Rotella. It has a good reputation, but I don't know if it is any better or worse than any other dino juice.

Better? who knows. But it is reccomended by most diesel people.

And since I have to carry 14 quarts for every oil change on my superduty I might as well just buy it in bulk and use it on the cruiser.

Have ran 15-40 Rotella for many years in just about everything...

:beer:

20-50 Castrol is good oil too....

Good luck!

-Steve

Due to the high sulphur content in diesel exhaust, the Rotella and Mobile Delvac are formulated to help suspend more of the high sulphur levels in burnted diesel fuel.

There really arn't any bad oils. The Diesel "heavy duty" oils like Rotella (I prefer Delo) Delo, or Delvac are great bang for the buck. I run Chevron 20w-50 in the summer and Chevron Delo 15w-40 in the winter in both of my 2Fs.

Since NC gets colder than Cali in the winter, you might look at the Rotella 5w-40 synthetic for winter start purposes. I ran it last winter in my FJ60 and it was fine. I'm running another batch in my 16 year old's Nissan to use it up. Mostly I run Chevron lubes because of the super quality and low price-excellent bang for buck.

Conventional oil is so cheap, you could switch depending on the season and your whim. If your engine is old or an oil burner, I would not bother with synthetics-not worth the $. For a rebuild, or new motor, synthetics would be the way to go.

Been running 20W-50 for some time in the 2F six. It is very hot here in sunspot #27 (Phx, AZ) More piece of mind and slightly better reading on the gauge.

Thanks for the responses. All is good.

The PO used Valvoline 20W50 so I'll continue in that direction for now and consider a switch when the colder weather moves in.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom