Oil temperature 1hd-t 1hd-ft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What max engine oil temperature has your Land Cruiser under heavy use?
(pull heavy trailers, mountain trips, performance increase)
Please tell me your experiences about the oil temperature while the land cruiser is under heavy use.

If your truck has an automatic transmission I would look at a transmission oil temp gauge.
You already have a coolant gauge to monitor engine heat.
When towing hills or driving through deep snow or mud I drop a gear to avoid the transmission shifting up and down as this creates excessive heat. Heat kills!

that was not the question,
I asked about the engine oil temperature under heavy use

What sort of temps are you getting Marcell? I dont know that too many on here monitor their oil temp. Most of us watch engine coolant temp and oil pressure the most.

Your coolant and engine oil will be close temperature wise.
I bet your coolant would be steaming before the oil temperature causes any concern.
Your time and effort are better spent on a tranny gauge and pyro.

No,
1. The coolant temperature can differ from the oil temperature.
2. Coolant only begins to vaporize at around 130C - 140C because it is under pressure and becomes critical at an oil temperature of 120C.
3. I drive a special coolant without water that only boils at 180C.

nobody in this forum (from the 1hd-ft owner) observes his engine oil temperature ???

No,
1. The coolant temperature can differ from the oil temperature.
2. Coolant only begins to vaporize at around 130C - 140C because it is under pressure and becomes critical at an oil temperature of 120C.
3. I drive a special coolant without water that only boils at 180C.

Your coolant is what controls the engine temperature. There is an oil cooler to directly exchange heat between the coolant and oil systems - if you are running higher coolant temps due to the Evans you will run higher oil temps.

How about you tell us what temperatures you’re measuring? Since you are running Evans coolant that means your numbers are not comparable to what most other folks experience.

I don't want to compare measurements and I didn't measure the oil temperature with me. (is currently not feasible because I am rebuilding my entire vehicle)

I don't drive a higher coolant temperature.

The coolant can only regulate the oil temperature to a certain degree, because if you look at the structure of the oil cooler (oil filter module), you will see that there is an oil cooler bypass valve that opens when the oil flow is higher. (This means that at higher engine speeds and heavy loads, the oil temperature increases because not everything can be cooled. And I don't want to discuss or compare anything in this forum. I just want to have oil temperature experiences from other people that I know how to design my oil supply for my engine.

(Just for information, I am rebuilding my vehicle down to the smallest detail. I already have a good 2/3. The project has now been taking 1.5 years.

I mean down to the smallest detail, the frame was hot-dip galvanized and repainted. The axles were strengthened and completely re-stored, sealed and painted, all screws were yellow galvanized. The entire gearbox was newly stored. The engine was newly stored, has 1hd-ft pistons, all new valves, the oil pump was translated differently with other gears so that it previously reached the max oil pressure, it now runs exactly 8% at higher speed than before, it got a VTG turbocharger with a self-made control, a water intercooler, a completely different injection pump. a lot of parts on the vehicle have been improved and designed themselves.

I studied, overhauled and re-installed every component.)

So I know a lot about the vehicle and just want to know the oil temperature without the additional built-in oil cooler for heavy use (because the people who simply install an additional oil cooler with a Sandwitsch plate do not make the vehicle a good thing because if you look closely at the Screw connection where the oil filter is attached a small hole on the side and in the oil filter inside a small fine filter which is only responsible for this small hole, it cleans the oil finely and lets it back into the oil pan via a pressure control valve and you close it with every sand wiper plate the hole. So you would have to construct the sandwich plate yourself or supply the oil cooler with an external electric oil pump from the oil pan and direct it back into the oil pan.

You see, I know my way around damn well and don't want to discuss the oil temperature with anyone or what problem I have with my vehicle. I just want information about the oil temperature of your vehicles under heavy load.

And I can not test it myself because my vehicle is not yet running and I do not want to assemble everything and retrofit an oil cooler because afterwards I can never install it as well as I do now. because now I'm designing the add-on parts to the engine and the radiator block in the front.

So I ask people to tell me what their engine oil temperature is, and nothing more.

It cannot be that nobody is watching his oil temperature.

I observe the oil temperature of all my vehicles that are not standard (this is damn important the oil also cools the engine and very importantly the piston crown and too hot oil is dangerous so everyone who has put a lot of strain on his vehicle or has increased performance should observe his oil temperature )

Try searching piston aircraft engine oil temperature. Thinking 180f at cruise, could be 300f when pouring the fuel on for takeoff!

It cannot be that nobody is watching his oil temperature.

Well thats how it is, most people dont watch the oil temperature.

Engines that have a reputation of eating up bearings (1hdt) from possible cavitation should monitor engine oil temps. An external oil cooler would be added insurance. Keep in mind that your bearing temps can run much hotter than oil temps.

I think I replied to your post on the 80 series FB group. I recently installed an aftermarket oil temp gauge on mine. Highest oil temp during a mountain climb was only 74C. I have the sensor installed on the factory oil pressure port using a tee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom