Oil Sparkles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a 2004 LC back in May with 295k miles. I've only put about 1,000 miles on it since then. It was due for an oil change and I thought I noticed some tiny sparkles on the dip stick before I changed the oil. I've sent the oil in to Blackstone for analysis, but I decided to take a look at the filter anyway. I didn't notice any metal at the bottom of the drained oil, but there is definitely a few bits in the filter. They are magnetic, only a few the size of the large one in the photo, but there seem to be quite a few smaller bits.

So how screwed am I? The valve cover gasket was replaced 5k miles ago with the last oil change, there was apparently a decent leak. Hoping it never ran low on oil, but obviously something isn't right here. The truck runs fine, no weird noises, oil pressure looks okay, no obvious problems. The dealer did not note any issues during the valve cover job. Oil has been changed regularly for the life of the vehicle.

My plan for now is to keep driving and change the oil again in 500-1000 miles and see what it looks like. Is there any chance that it's something that can be fixed or am I sitting on a time bomb at this point?

oil filter.jpg

What did the blackstone report come back with?

I cut open and inspect my filters and get a Blackstone analysis done with every oil change, and I wouldn’t personally be too concerned with that amount of metal. However, I would defer to the experts at Blackstone. They will do filter media analyses as well if it’s something you’re concerned about.

A report from Blackstone will be worth more than anyone will tell you based on a visual analysis of that.

In general, visually looking at oil or filter media to determine anything regarding engine (or oil) health is only slightly better than the mechanic equivalent of a palm reader or psychic. It's mostly made up and correct guesses are basically just luck.

The Blackstone reports are certainly comprehensive, but other than inducing you to change oil more frequently if they are bad, is there any particular action or repair they ever point to?

Thanks for all the feedback. I just sent the oil off to Blackstone this week, but I'll update the thread when I get their results.

The Blackstone reports are certainly comprehensive, but other than inducing you to change oil more frequently if they are bad, is there any particular action or repair they ever point to?
Yes. Coolant presence indicates a likely blown head gasket for many engines (perhaps a failed heat exchanger if you have a shared oil cooler section of your rad. Silica indicates poor filtration of the intake or an intake leak. Iron/lead/copper can indicate failing bearings. Fuel presence indicates a leaking injector. I'm sure there are others, but those are just some of the fundamentals.

The Blackstone reports (or any other comprehensive analysis) can give you very early warnings of failures in addition to telling you how many miles is appropriate for your exact engine and use.

Usually the reports provide an explanation for unusually high contaminants.

Any amount of metal suspended in engine oil can’t be good.Unless you’re prepared to replace the entire engine,I would recommend finding the source and making necessary repairs before more damage is done…It’s hard to believe anyone would suggest otherwise….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom