Oil sending unit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Installed a new oil sending unit yesterday, when the cruiser is on the needle hits up just above the top mark....well the old unit would fluctuate so much I'm not sure if this is normal or if it the unit will "break in" after a few miles...the old unit would read in the middle when running and then drop down to the bottom line at idle when I drove it in the morning, well when I left to head home in the afternoon it would sit below half way and then drop below the lowest mark at idle....and another question is, is the only purpose of the sending unit to tell you what your pile pressure is in the cab? It doesn't effect the movement of the oil in the engine itself, correct?

Hate to say it but it sounds like you hooked up the new sender unit incorrectly. it is very easy to do... let me guess, you put the wire on the thing that looks like a spade lug instead of the top springy thing on top of the sender unit?

If i'm right, you no longer have a oil pressure gauge. It's toast.

Nope the wire is hooked to the brass clip on the very top of the unit, this one has a ground clip that is attached more over to the side but the old unit never had a ground, plus I think there is a ground in the wire itself so there should be no need for another ground.

Check your ground points. Recently I had to run a wire from the battery to the block on a customer's 60 because of the corrosion on the OEM grounding wires.

Sending unit should be hooked to the round ,center post. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom