Oil recommendations for 1985 BJ70 w/ 390k? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MoJ

Threads
Newbie Diesel question:

(Probably opening up a can of worms)

I would prefer to stick with a dino oil as I like to change often. Fall/Winter here ranges between -5F and 75F. What oil viscosity and brand does the 3b like? From the FAQ sticky it looks like folks are using either NAPA or OEM oil filters - any advantages to either?

Thanks,
Jason

The 3B takes the common PH8A equivalent oil filter. I like the Fleetgard filters myself. For dino oil I like Shell Rotella 15W-40 year round.

I run the Syn Rotella T (blue bottle) 5-40 and I'm really happy with it.

Last edited:
Delo 400 15/40 consistantly comes out on top with their base oil and with the recent increase in boron and moly to the additive package it is hard to beat.

That said either Shell Rotella, Esso/Exxon XD are good oils too. I would not hesitate to use either.

Bob's the oil guy has a forum where people post up virgin and used oil analysis for different brands. It's an interesting read.

hth's

gb

0-40 for real cold. rotella, starts smooth.

as you can see the #1 choice amongst us is Rottella.

Yep rotella is the best well priced oil you can buy for a diesel, good stuff.

brownbear said:
0-40 for real cold. rotella, starts smooth.

as you can see the #1 choice amongst us is Rottella.

Smithers, BC - wow. Believe it or not I've been there. For a few years I flew into Smithers regularly on my way to visit a small mill in Houston. Still have some gloves I bought from an outdoor gear store in downtown Smithers. Beautiful area.

I do need to purchase oil designated for diesel correct?

I was looking at Toyotas own brand of Diesel oil.
Aust 4WD Monthly reckon toyota oil gives Nissans an extra 2kw after an oil change so it cant hurt a cruiser either:D
Its competively priced so I think its worth a try.

MoJ said:
I do need to purchase oil designated for diesel correct?

"C" or compression ignition rated oil for diesel (all Rotella is diesel rated). The current grade is "CG" I think.

cruiser_guy said:
"C" or compression ignition rated oil for diesel (all Rotella is diesel rated). The current grade is "CG" I think.

Thank you.

Eric Winkworth said:
Can you actually buy it in north america?

Inside sources tell me it's re-badged Esso (at least in Canada)!!

cruiser_guy said:
Inside sources tell me it's re-badged Esso (at least in Canada)!!

Esso/Exxon 15/40XD oil is a good choice, it that is what it is. The PC brand 15/40 has 3 stars on the bottom, which is the Esso/Exxon logo.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/voalibrary.html for a list of VOA charts.

hth's

gb

jzilla said:
Delo 400 here as well. It was recommended to me by a diesel mechanic at toyota who works on cruisers.

Holy crap, a mechanic at a toyota dealer that actually knows diesel cruiser exsit, wow, I bet you couldn't find one of those in my area, the mechnanic at the dealer told me to put regualr 10w 30 in my injector pump.

When I first got my cruiser, I was having wiring issues and took it there, they gave me an estimate of 230 bucks to re wire the head lights, I get there to pick it up an they want 500, I said "ohh no you estimated 230 thats all the cash I brought", the guy looked puzzled looked at a few pieces of paper and siad "ohh ya its right here, well 230 then". They spent alot more time then they expected, hahaha and I will never take it back there. I think they were tripping about it being 24v!!!

Eric Winkworth said:
Holy crap, a mechanic at a toyota dealer that actually knows diesel cruiser exsit, wow, I bet you couldn't find one of those in my area, the mechnanic at the dealer told me to put regualr 10w 30 in my injector pump.

When I first got my cruiser, I was having wiring issues and took it there, they gave me an estimate of 230 bucks to re wire the head lights, I get there to pick it up an they want 500, I said "ohh no you estimated 230 thats all the cash I brought", the guy looked puzzled looked at a few pieces of paper and siad "ohh ya its right here, well 230 then". They spent alot more time then they expected, hahaha and I will never take it back there. I think they were tripping about it being 24v!!!

A visit to my dealer this week for a state inspection resulted in the entire sales force, most of the mechanics, and a few customers climbing all over my 70. One mechanic came to me and said, "I've worked here since 1985 and have never seen one of these." Geez really makes you feel confident in their ability to work on it.

Last edited:
That is funny, actually this guy works at jim pattison toyota in north vancouver.
He loves cruisers, he used to to live in australia and drove a 40 when he lived there, I think he is a diesel mechanic as well. He knows his stuff. I'm pretty sure he inspects rising suns cruisers when they come in, he said the only oil he puts in them is the delo 400.

jzilla said:
That is funny, actually this guy works at jim pattison toyota in north vancouver. he said the only oil he puts in them is the delo 400.

I know another Toyota Mechanic that only uses Delo 400 in his customers rigs as well. Me, I mainly use Delo, but will float around a little. Esso EX 0/40 Synth for the 13BT in the winter for two seasons now, then back to dyno in the summer.

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom