oil question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lor

Threads
Sorry for all the basic questions. I am a happy new owner of a '78 FJ40 with lots of questions. :D

I'm going to change all the fluids, and I have a few questions. I did a search and I saw 80W90 for the diff. What grade do I use for the transmission/transfer? &nbsp:Do I use engine oil or gear oil for the transmission/transfer?

I use 80W90 for diffs, tranny and tcase. I use a cheaper brand because I change my fluids at least twice a year. I'm kinda anal about it sometimes. Congrats on the Cruiser!!

yeah, gear oil for the transfer/ transmition, same as your diffs.

post here after you do it to tell me how much you used, i'm shopping for some soon.

good idea to do it as soon as you get the truck, so you get any water and stuff out of the diffs, and you have a basepoint for your whole servicing...

any1 out there got a good method of popping out the drain plugs without getting oil all over ones self. when i did my engine i got coated (outside, in the rain, at night, why? because i was bored)

For a gag I also put in a bottle of "Prolong" transmission additive in the tranny (thinking I would laugh off the results) and it actually helped ... quieter and smoother.

i like to mix 50/50 gear oil/lucas oil
i really did hear a difference, and any leaky stuff it will usually help clear up...

the lucas is about $6 a quart though

Going by the Manual it reccomends: Hypoid SAE90 in the Steering Box, Front and Rear Differentials, Tranfercase and Gearbox. :slap:

the Lucas stuff rocks......I would buy it if it was 10 dollars a piece!!!!!!!!!! I'm pretty sure that there's some stuff called restore.....( it's for your cylinder walls.........works wonders and doesn't clog up your motor either, and it seems to be good for your solid lifters that you will soon be acquainted with :D) great stuff !!!!
Never use stuff called engine flush or something of the sort, The p.o. of my cruizer used it and I'm suffering a half eaten rear main seal from it that dumps half a quart a week in the road in front of my house. :puke:
I generally try not to use quaker state on older motors.....too much detergent. Penzoil is the opposite......nasty dirty oil not enough detergents.
My cruizer loves Valvo. max life.
This is mostly opinionated.....but I love cruizers and wouldn't purposely try to steer a fellow cruizer head in a bad direction.
Good luck and congrats on your purchase......I also own a 78" 40 series. I love it.......more than my fiance! :love:

don't let your fiance know that. my wife hates that i am so emotional about my 40 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom