Oil Question?? Castrol Syntec or Not (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, the PO of the cruiser was using Castrol Syntec for a couple of oil changes. I have seen the receipts. Is it okay to switch back to Castrol GTX or should I keep with the Synthetic. Or should I use the blended version of the Castrol Synthetic. Boy the synthetic is not cheap..... Would it hurt it or continue to use the good stuff so to speak... Thanks Jason

well i am using mobil 1, not cheap at all about $81 for the oil alone. But I go 6000 miles instead of 3500. So I think it evens out.

I personally wouldn't go to the expense of using a synthetic oil in such an old engine, it's not needed. Yes there are benefits but are they really worth the cost?

Sorry, to answer your question yes it's safe to change back.

I personally wouldn't go to the expense of using a synthetic oil in such an old engine, it's not needed. Yes there are benefits but are they really worth the cost?

Sorry, to answer your question yes it's safe to change back.

I did not like synthetic price until I got 260,000 miles out of my Isuzu pickup using Mobil One, and that's was mostly stop and go traffic, so I think it is worth the extra cost. I use Mobil One in just about everything that has a gas engine in my house. My second chice of oil would be the Castrol Syntech. :steer:

All the oils you mentioned will exceed the specifications recommended by Mr. T back when your truck was born, so you won't be doing any harm. Do a search and you will find more info on motor oil than you care to read. Mobil 1, Chevron Delo 400, and Shell Rotella seem to be popular amongst the anal forum members, and some of these are quite economical given their extrended use intervals.

While you are searching about oil, search for oil filter recommendations. The OEM and Napa Gold seem to get the best reviews.

To respond to your massive post, 260,000 miles is nothing special from an isuzu engine, just consider how much you've spent buying synthetic oil for all of the oil changes, you spent more than a rebuild job would cost, I'd want to be getting alot more than 260,000 miles from an engine to justify the cost.

Personally, Syntec has the cost of a full synthetic (which it isn't) and the poor quality of a nonsynthetic so it's a nonstarter. Check out the FAQs for a full discussion of what oil to use, but Shell Rotella T syn is an excellent choice (not Shell Rotella), as is Mobil 1 if you can find certain types. It's all in the FAQ.

DougM

To respond to your massive post, 260,000 miles is nothing special from an isuzu engine, just consider how much you've spent buying synthetic oil for all of the oil changes, you spent more than a rebuild job would cost, I'd want to be getting alot more than 260,000 miles from an engine to justify the cost.

Only changed the oil every 6 months, 4 quarts @ $5.00, filter, $2.50 done for 9 years you do the math, I got the truck in 2000, so who knows what kind of oil the PO was using, during all this time. that's when I started using the 5W20 Mobil One. I still believe that the price of the oil changes during the last nine years is cheaper than an engine rebuild.

Was that an Isuzu diesel? If so, great engine.

DougM

Was that an Isuzu diesel? If so, great engine.

DougM

It was 87 octane gas. I should have kept it since I totaled my FJ60 daily driver last week.:)

I've switched to Mobil 1 a while ago, 228 k and still running great. After reading many of the post about the superior lubricating qualities compared to regular oils, there is no way anyone can justify the cost of rebuilding or replacing an engine to the extra cost of synthetic oils. Synthetic oil is cheaper in the long run considering it's change ratio. Just as important is the oil filter you use too.

Personally, Syntec has the cost of a full synthetic (which it isn't) and the poor quality of a nonsynthetic so it's a nonstarter. Check out the FAQs for a full discussion of what oil to use, but Shell Rotella T syn is an excellent choice (not Shell Rotella), as is Mobil 1 if you can find certain types. It's all in the FAQ.

DougM

What is wrong with Shell Rotella non synthetic?

Try not to make your decision on sticker shock alone: Look at the difference in cost between regular oil and synthetic; look at the increased mileage between oil change intervals, and the general agreement that there is nothing negative about running synthetics in these old motors. Now you're in the $$ range of a cheap pizza.

I've switched everything to M1 because it's widely available.

I would recommend Mobil1 extended performance (15000 mile change). I replace the filter and top off every 5000 miles. I did the math (5 qt jug at walmart = $28.00) and come out ahead, plus the benefit of the synthetic oil.:cheers:

5 quarts? Your Cruiser use only 5?:eek:

So If I were to use Sythetic Oil and a good oil filter, I can change the oil every 5,000 miles instead of 3000 miles. If that is so then it lowers the cost of the oil in the long run. Thanks Everyone Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom