Oil pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m having a low pressure issue and the last thing I can think of is the oil pump. Little run down, engine head gasket blew and I ended up rebuilding the engine, complete tear down. Didn’t have any oil issue before and when I took the oil pump out to clean I did not know if there was a special way it went in. I know that the edges are beveled, but is there a wrong way to put back the star piece? Maybe I assembled the wrong face out? Is that even possible?

The little arrow stamped/etched into the star ring was facing to the front on mine.
That was the only indicator I could see that suggested there's a right or wrong way.

Pic taken during disassembly

20211026_095228.jpg

How about the center star piece?

Also I used black RTV instead of the rubber gasket that lays in the gasket channel. Would that cause a gap in between the oil pump and the crank?

The centre star was staked to the shaft I believe, not loose.

RTV for something like that is at risk of oozing into the pump area, and any excess ooze going through the oil galleries and filter. Apart from that, I don't see RTV being a problem if you used one suitable for oil, and buttoned the cover down right

Relief valve getting stuck or weak? There's one at the pump and another at the cooler

I’m having a low pressure issue and the last thing I can think of is the oil pump. Little run down, engine head gasket blew and I ended up rebuilding the engine, complete tear down. Didn’t have any oil issue before and when I took the oil pump out to clean I did not know if there was a special way it went in. I know that the edges are beveled, but is there a wrong way to put back the star piece? Maybe I assembled the wrong face out? Is that even possible?
^^^^

Was this confirmed using a mechanical gauge? Good quality oil filter? Crank Pulley Bolt torqued to 304 ft. lbs. ?

Yes using a mechanics gauge, and just removed the crank bolt and first time I noticed oil on the treads and the washer. Retorqued, or as hard as I can pull it and still oil pressure at hot is really low almost zero. 3k. Oil moves to 40psi. At cold the psi at 1.5k is 55psi. Also using Toyota oil filters. At the moment I am using 10-40 oil.
I’m going to try another gauge, maybe when I assembled I didn’t put the ring around the star outward, going to open that up. Maybe move to 15-40w?
I did buy new pressure relieve valves and installed.

Last edited:
What is your pressure at idle? The pressures you’ve listed above are great. Not getting the crank bolt tight can lead to erratic pressure readings, noise, and if bad enough, total loss of oil pressure.

06043EF1-D813-4533-B992-2DA301021870.png

Okay so I think I fixed it.
I bought a cheap Amazon oil pressure gauge and my advise, don’t do it. I installed a new oil pump, noticed a little scaring on the outer ring so I replaced it with a new one from Toyota. Also bought a new crank bolt and retorqued to 305lbs. The Amazon oil pump showed no difference from what was displaying on the previous readings. So I then changed the oil to 15-40 and installed the factory pressure gauge to see if any changes displayed on the factory gauge. And walla, oil reaches over the 3/4 line up from a little over the 1/4 mark when hot and just under 1/4 when idling, up from the low line. Don’t know what was the actual fix but all looks good now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom