oil pump spinup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
to check that the distributor has settled into the oil pump, I've seen that using a screwdriver in a drill should be used
how fast and how long does it need to spin?
with a cold engine

You use the screwdriver in the oil pump to circulate oil, you can't put a screwdriver in the oil pump with the distributor installed. You check if your distributor is engaging the oil pump by eyeballing where the distributor sits in the block and if you have oil pressure or not.

Deleted: Pighead got it first. I would just add, when you do fire it up, look for oil pressure on the gauge right away

took the dizzy out for some work on it. Put it back in, seemed to sit all the way down, eyeballed the curved body flush to the top of the clamp, couldn't get it any further in.
Now the dizzy is out again....because I had no perceptible oil flow on the rockers

Oil flow to the rockers can take a few minutes

Now the dizzy is out again....because I had no perceptible oil flow on the rockers
Did you get oil up there with the drill and screwdriver?

BTW, welcome to the forum.
What year & model?
Did you do any major work on the engine before this?

How i seat my distributor (old news for most)
I have a different way of seating the dizzy to the oil pump. I line up the gears the way I want, then, with the cap on the dizzy, I stand on the tire, lean over and put one hand on the cap, putting a fair amount of weight on it...with my other hand I jump the contacts on the starter motor. Motor turns over, cam turns dizzy shaft and dizzy falls down into oilpump slot. You can feel the dizzy slide down that last half inch and hear a good thunk as it seats.

also oil at the rockers, kinda just oozes out, it is not a huge gusher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom