Oil pump seal affect oil pressure? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
‘97 lx450 248k

My oil pump seal has always leaked since I’ve owned the truck but it’s gotten worse lately so time to fix it. I also feel like oil pressure has been a touch lower recently...I know not to trust the gauge and oil is changed religiously, and never use wix filter. I was just curious if failed oil pump seal would have an affect on oil pressure? Truck runs and sounds normal. I guess I’m just hoping to see pressure improvement after repair so I can really feel like I’ve done some good!

The leak would have to be on a grand scale as in a constant stream pissing through the O-ring. It’s true that the factory pressure gauge gives us a basic reference but most report nearly the same indications for a given rpm. If you really need to know what actual oil pressure is, remove the sending unit from the engine block and attach an oil pressure gauge/tool.

No visible pissing stream just yet but it’s leaking enough to where I can’t ignore it any longer! I’m not overly concerned about the oil pressure but I should check it mechanically just to sleep better at night...good call

No visible pissing stream just yet but it’s leaking enough to where I can’t ignore it any longer! I’m not overly concerned about the oil pressure but I should check it mechanically just to sleep better at night...good call

No.

I've been running a digital oil pressure gauge in conjunction with the OEM for a couple of years now and can tell you with every confidence IF your engine isn't knocking you have plenty of oil pressure. What you want to watch is the Oil LEVEL. And run good quality filters.

Just adding my endorsement of the above. The leak would have to be bad... probably worse than it would leak with no seal at all to affect the oil pressure. And as mentioned, don't put too much stock in the OEM oil gauge. :(

Mark...

thanks for all the input! electrical pressure gauge would be a worthwhile investment

Disagree. I wouldn't do it again....knowing what I know now.

Disagree. I wouldn't do it again....knowing what I know now.
Why?

Are you suggesting adding a mechanical oil gauge?

Or just check it with a known gauge once to get a reference point and then don't worry about it again unless you see a change?

Why?

Are you suggesting adding a mechanical oil gauge?

Or just check it with a known gauge once to get a reference point and then don't worry about it again unless you see a change?

^^^^^

This.

The concern generally rises from a low appearing needle on the stock dash gauge at idle and low speed.

But I can tell you that you've got between 10-30 psi at idle (if mine is any example) and it quickly rises with any increase in rpm. The FSM states anything at or above a paltry 4 psi (yes 4 psi) is fine.

I have 315K miles on mine and all the usual oil leaks....no issues with oil pressure. My advice for what its worth: ALWAYS use a good oil filter, make sure your crank bolt is properly torqued, keep your oil LEVEL correct. But unless your engine starts knocking don't worry about oil pressure.

We've had a number of members suffer engine damage as the result of oil filters failing (Wix), but aside from that...I don't recall anyone having oil pressure issues (unless a crank bolt wasn't properly tightened).

Use Toyota Filters or do as I do and use a 'Motorcraft FL1A' (blasphemy I know). If you can't find the Toyota Filters...Motorcraft's are everywhere and a darn good filter. Whatever you choose DON'T use a cheap a$$ oil filter or let the local oil change franchise put their crappy version on your vehicle. If need be...take your own filter to them and insist it be used.

Last edited:
^^^^^

This.

The concern generally rises from a low appearing needle on the stock dash gauge at idle and low speed.

But I can tell you that you've got between 10-30 psi at idle (if mine is any example) and it quickly rises with any increase in rpm. The FSM states anything at or above a paltry 4 psi (yes 4 psi) is fine.

I have 315K miles on mine and all the usual oil leaks....no issues with oil pressure. My advice for what its worth: ALWAYS use a good oil filter, make sure your crank bolt is properly torqued, keep your oil LEVEL correct. But unless your engine starts knocking don't worry about oil pressure.

We've had a number of members suffer engine damage as the result of oil filters failing (Wix), but aside from that...I don't recall anyone having oil pressure issues (unless a crank bolt wasn't properly tightened).
Good to know. My factory gauge is always at the very top. At idle, it's above the 3/4 line. at highway speed (2500-3500 RPM) it's above the top line.

I have a feeling the gauge is not reading properly, however the PO replaced the HG and had it all done PROPERLY at the local Toyota dealer at 145K, about two years before I bought it.

I have been planning on adding a mechanical gauge to mine because i like to watch that sort of thing. I just don't know where to placed the gauge. I don't believe an electrical gauge that may be reading from a faulty sensor.

At idle mine gauge is at about 1/4 and under load at 3/4. Do I need to be concerned about the idle PSI?

No.

As long as your gauge is not showing zero or not working at all....I wouldn't give it another thought. Yours sounds fine.
If you just want to satisfy your curiosity or confirm that your oil pressure is O.K. then have a shop check it using a mechanical gauge. After that....forget about it. Oil LEVEL is what we need to watch with these engines and even then...you can run a couple of quarts low (or more) and not do any damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom