Oil Pump Prime (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just added oil to 350 (still on engine stand) and primed oil pump this afternoon (turning with drill). Pump seemed to prime just fine. Could see oil pumping through galley right above pump.

I thought that after pump was primed, oil would pump up through push rods, but I never got oil coming out top of any of the push rods. I primed each lifter before installing, should turning pump with drill not pump oil up through the push rods?

Thanks....

Try turning the crank while you're priming.

The motion of the lifter lifting upwards and compressing (hydraulic lifters) it is what pushes/pumps the oil up the push rod to the rocker arm.. but, if your dealing with a older block, you need to make sure you have the correct rear cam bearing, the old style blocks the oil that feeds the top end passes around the back bearing surface of the cam (ones for older blocks have a groove in the last bearing surface to allow oil to pass around it, its fed in from the bottom of the cam bearing and goes out the to at about the 1 and 11 o'clock positions of the cam bearing to feed the top end (left and right side lifters) and if newer model cam bearings are placed in by accident, you wont get any oil going to the top end..

I wish i had known about priming before I ruined my engine (see my newbie thread)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom