oil pump issues? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
man, I'm posting on this thing too much lately...too much going wrong.

So I've got a 1981 fj60. original 195000 on the motor. started blowing some smoke one day and I figured out I had bad compression on #2. Took off the head and brought it to a shop where I learned it was cracked. Ordered a new rebuilt head from cruiserparts.net. Finnaly got around to putting it back and and together and after adjusting the valves it was running awsome.

Had it at my old house/friends house and was ready to bring it home tonight. About 5 miles into the drive I notice its running hotter than usual and the gauge slowly creeps up to about 3/4 on the stock gauge and sits there....and its starting to make a wierd sound...kind of a whistling almost bearling like sound from the motor. I stop and listen and it's kinda coming from the passenger side of the motor. I think, screw it, I've got to get home and its not getting any hotter. After about another 5 miles I get a little smarter and glance at the oil pressure gauge...its sitting real low, not at the bottom but real low. I shut it down and call the tow truck.

Could the whistling/humming sound be coming from a failing/failed oil pump? Has anyone else ever experienced an oil pump making noise before/as it is failing? It was loud when in idle and went away with throttle.

thanks for any help...I'm sure I just F$%ked up my $800 investement...but maybe not?

Does not sound like an oil pump to me, but I dont have a lot of time with the 2F.

Thanks for the insight...I guess I'm going to tear it all apart and see if there is something awry with the head gasket placement. maybe there is just restricted flow from the head being a little off...I still don't get where the sound is coming from?

Oil pump

The first thing I do when I buy a LandCruiser is add mechanical guages. So i leave the Toyota guages hooked up but add a mechanical volt, oil and temp guage. The Guage cluster readings are pretty innacurate most of the time - you really need to know oil PSI and the water temp. With both working you can tell when things change, and you have a backup system to check if you get a abnormal reading.

If the whistle was more of a screeee it could have been a bearing - but again correct engine readings and then looking to see if you have anything in the pan or on your oil pan plug should give you a much better idea.

Good Luck!

The whistle doesn't sound like a bearing sound I've ever heard sounds kinda like a really dull slipping belt...more of a whowhowhooo sound than a screeching sound. But it isn't a belt and is coming from near the rear of the motor. It is loud when idling and coasting, but goes away with throttle...I havent' had a chance to really assess it since then because when I run it now it isn't there and I haven't let it get back up to normal running temp because of the oil pressure issue. I've decided to just take it all apart again, put it back together with a new head gasket and hope it all goes away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom