Oil pump gear install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm assembling my oil pump back on the motor. I can't remember which way the gears goes back in. No, Not the inner gear:flipoff2: the outer. There are triangles stamped into the gear. I ASSumed the stamped side goes toward the block?

Does this help? It is a pic of mine (93 LC) with the cover off.
OilPumpGear.jpg

Absolutely!! (Provided nobody has ever taken that pump apart) Those little triangle's must face opposite of each other. There is one on the other side of the inner gear and obviously the triangle is on the outer side of the outer gear. If that makes any since...... :p Thanks a million.

Now I'm worried. Just read on a Toyota website doing a 22R oil pump(very similar to ours) they say keep the triangles on the same sides.........:confused:

So far, The score is 2 to 0. I have two confirmed pics with the outer gear marking facing the radiator as seen above.......

A BIG Thanks azTony! My Haynes manual has several pics of the gears in the oil pump, with a magnifying glass you can see the mark in one of the pics. The outer gear marking is facing outward just like yours Tony. Thanks again :cheers:

Does it matter where the triangles are in relation to each other? If the triangle on the outer gear is facing the radiator and on the DS, should the inner gear triangle facing the engine block be phased 180 degrees on the PS?

If I see the pump right, the alignment of the triangles shouldn't matter - the inner gear has 5 lobes on it, while the outer gear has 6 detents. As the gears spin, the triangles will rotate around and lose any 'alignment' you set it too.

Or am I seeing things wrong?

If I see the pump right, the alignment of the triangles shouldn't matter - the inner gear has 5 lobes on it, while the outer gear has 6 detents. As the gears spin, the triangles will rotate around and lose any 'alignment' you set it too.

Or am I seeing things wrong?

I agree, It shouldn't matter because the alignment always changes....

Duhhh... should have thought about that a bit more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom