Oil PSI / Coolant temp Ohm values (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ChaserFJ60

Owner of CruiserHead.com
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
cruiserhead.com
I'm doing a little pet project and I need to be able to calculate the Coolant temp per Ohm and Oil Psi per Ohm of resistance and im having a hard time finding values for the stock FJ60 sending units.

I found the water temp sensor values to as such
WATER TEMP CELSIUS​
RESISTANCE OHMS​
50​
226 (+33.6/-36.6)​
115​
26.4 (+1.71/-2.21)​
I think I can find the approximate temperature values between 26.4Ohms and 226Ohms with this formula (Not including the margin of error...yet)
Y = -.0207155395 * X^2 + 4.902950848 * X
With Y=Temperature in C, and X=Resistance.
I think all I needed to do was calculate the slope? but I could be wrong.
I don't have a stock temp sender anymore so if somebody could verify that I'm in the ball park that would be very nice.

As for the oil pressure sending unit, I cant find any info online WRT PSI/Ohm's. Id rather just have some #'s and calculate this but I may have to just to an experiment if nobody has these values.

thanks in advance!

I'm doing a little pet project and I need to be able to calculate the Coolant temp per Ohm and Oil Psi per Ohm of resistance and im having a hard time finding values for the stock FJ60 sending units.

I found the water temp sensor values to as such
WATER TEMP CELSIUS​
RESISTANCE OHMS​
50​
226 (+33.6/-36.6)​
115​
26.4 (+1.71/-2.21)​
I think I can find the approximate temperature values between 26.4Ohms and 226Ohms with this formula (Not including the margin of error...yet)
Y = -.0207155395 * X^2 + 4.902950848 * X
With Y=Temperature in C, and X=Resistance.
I think all I needed to do was calculate the slope? but I could be wrong.
I don't have a stock temp sender anymore so if somebody could verify that I'm in the ball park that would be very nice.

As for the oil pressure sending unit, I cant find any info online WRT PSI/Ohm's. Id rather just have some #'s and calculate this but I may have to just to an experiment if nobody has these values.

thanks in advance!
Yeah I was saying if you just draw your own chart that will help

A while back I logged a brand new FJ60 temperature sender up to 212°F in water.
See attached file. I recorded it with a Redfish data logger.
Temperature vs Ohms is not a linear progression.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• temp-vs-ohms-sender.pdf
    746.9 KB · Views: 64
A while back I logged a brand new FJ60 temperature sender up to 212°F in water.
See attached file. I recorded it with a Redfish data logger.
Temperature vs Ohms is not a linear progression.

View attachment 2591761
Thankyou for the PDF!
I dont quite understand that graph. The units dont match and based off your pdf starting from 310s going to 4565s neither the Ohms or temperature have a rise and fall or a fall and rise. Both units appear to act logarithmic

Last edited:
The graph above shoes temperature vs ohms over time starting at around 75°F as the sender was slowly heated to about 265°F and allowed to cool.

The graph could start at around 1100 seconds where the temperature is 265°F and the resistance is lowest, to present a more even looking graph, but I included the resistance readings starting at around 75°F to show what the sender resistance is at that (non relevant) cold temperature.
At any rate, the graph is just for visualization purposes which is why I used thick indistinct lines to mark data points.

Below is another (head scratching) graph to sort of illustrate what the sender resistance trend is doing vs temperature.

For example:
At 180°F, a 5° increase in temperature corresponds to a 7.4 ohm drop in sender resistance, but at 245°F, a 5° increase in temperature corresponds to only a 1.4 ohm drop in resistance.
This graph may not be the best way to illustrate that, but it sort of shows the relationship.

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom