Oil Pressure Wiring Help or Mechanical Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I am just about at my wits end with trying to get the oil pressure sender to respond on the dash. I have a '78 with stock everything and a brand new Toyota sending unit. I have used the FSM to test and am getting power to the sender wire, but the gauge doesn't deflect on the dash. I have checked the rear portion of the gauge and it looks fine. If there is some advice on rewiring or jumping the wise so I can at least get the gauge to respond that would be fantastic.

If this is not a simple fix, I am planning on getting a mechanical set up to make sure that I am not running the engine dry. I have been looking at previous posts and could use some direct advice on a setup that people like. The real issue that I have been seeing is getting something that matches the threads on the block close enough to allow for the new pressure hose to screw in.

Thanks in advance guys and I wouldn't have a running 40 if it wasn't for all of your help so far!

Hey all,

I am just about at my wits end with trying to get the oil pressure sender to respond on the dash. I have a '78 with stock everything and a brand new Toyota sending unit. I have used the FSM to test and am getting power to the sender wire, but the gauge doesn't deflect on the dash. I have checked the rear portion of the gauge and it looks fine. If there is some advice on rewiring or jumping the wise so I can at least get the gauge to respond that would be fantastic.

If this is not a simple fix, I am planning on getting a mechanical set up to make sure that I am not running the engine dry. I have been looking at previous posts and could use some direct advice on a setup that people like. The real issue that I have been seeing is getting something that matches the threads on the block close enough to allow for the new pressure hose to screw in.

Thanks in advance guys and I wouldn't have a running 40 if it wasn't for all of your help so far!

i would pull the cluster meter and preform the gauge checks diagnoses outlined in the HAYNES manual ,

I apply B+ and neg- ground to the connector meter barrel connector pins blue wire red tracer and white wire black tracer ground

then see if you can deflect the oil gauge

DO THIS ONLY TILL NEEDLE 1/2 way NO MOW

if guage deflects , well issues in the middle wires

if not then guage or first check printed circuitry

i replace ALL the hex and Phillips hardware rusty holding blue circuit board down to gauge contacts and threaded studs

i bet you find its a simple connection from blue board to the studs on guage or maybe a torn copper board travler easy to solder fix

check button connector connector at oil sender they look god but are bad ! some times if in doubt all replace .........

DSCN0004.JPG

DSCN0004.JPG
DSCN0012.JPG
DSCN0015.JPG
DSCN0017.JPG

if the wire on the sender unit was attached to the spade terminal versus the center knub, most likely the guage is a goner and needs replaced.

Hey all,

if the wire on the sender unit was attached to the spade terminal versus the center knub, most likely the guage is a goner and needs replaced.

do u have this type of 2 male tabs oil sender ?

or only just the center button connector ?

1613049276695.png

Fittings and adapters with the correct British thread pitch are readily available. I've bought hardware on both eBay and Amazon. Search here on MUD and you'll find a lot of good info.

do u have this type of 2 male tabs oil sender ?

or only just the center button connector ?

View attachment 2582232
I have the single button type without the secondary connector. I'm gonna try to clean up the back of the board and the connectors as they are all a bit tarnished.

You will need a small list and a trip to homes ge-blows tomorrow too .....fyi

i have concurred this b#stard issues many times , only one way works

do it all the first time ..............

- new stainless steem hex nuts

lock washers

new phillips screws

wd-40 brand 100% ONLY alcohol based circut board cleasner

scothch brite

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom