Oil pressure sending question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my ‘77 FJ40 has the 2F with the oil cooler. When I bought it, it had an aftermarket gauge cluster where the radio would go in addition to the OEM cluster. The OEM cluster works except for the oil pressure gauge and the temp gauge. I'd like to remove the aftermarket gauge and just have the original cluster. My question is how does the oil pressure sending unit with oil cooler work with the original instrument panel? It now has the small tube coming out of the oil cooler and going to the back of the aftermarket cluster. So how does that work with the OEM cluster? The manuals that I have aren't detailed enough. Took a picture of the back of the cluster. Thanks.

D169B8CB-AD20-47F7-9E53-DC6B3DE8F908.jpeg

Thanks Solace. I think I might be starting to put the pieces together. Rudi's post is fantastic. Lots of good pics and info. The after market gauge that was in my 40 had a tube with what looked like oil in it going to the back of the gauge. I just looked on SOR and saw that there are sending units specifically for 2f's with oil coolers. I'm guessing that the tube coming out of the oil cooler would maybe connect with the sender and then an electrical wire would be routed to the original cluster. If anyone out there that has this setup could tell me where the sender goes and maybe have some pictures that'd be sweet. Thanks in advance.

I never hooked up my oil pressure because I was sketched out by a tube of oil, and didn't know how to bleed the air out. This was a long time ago.

73 40 Cluster.jpg

Yes, the OEM is electric, not analog pressure reading at the cluster. Do you have an aftermarket harness?

I think the harness is original. Just an assumption but it does look old and a bit worn in certain parts.

On my 79 fj40 there is no oil tube coming out of the oil sender, don’t believe there was one on the 77 either. The sender screws into the oil cooler and a wire connect to it and runs to the gauge cluster.

I'm not familiar with the oil cooler setup, but if it is like what tjhaga, describes then the po removed the stk electronic pressure sender and installed the tube for the aftermarket mechanical oil pressure gauge. A mechanical pressure gauge gets its reading from the actual oil pressure from the engine, thru that tube. The tube doesn't need to be bled. If you want to run both gauges, you should be able to find another location on the engine to tap into to get a pressure reading, or make or get a T fitting at the cooler sender location to install both the tube and electronic sender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom