OIL PRESSURE SENDER & GAUGE DILEMMA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

swamp-thing

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all -- My 77 FJ40 has an 87 FJ60 2F in it by the previous owner.

The oil gauge on instrument cluster is original to the 77, and does not register oil pressure.
I have seen it move on startup, inconsistently -- sometimes not at all -- but always settles at the low mark and doesn't move after that.

In searching for this issue, I read somewhere that it's possible that the gauge and the sender need to match.
So my question is this: what sender do I need to make an 87 FJ60 engine ( with oil cooler ) show accurate pressure on a 77 gauge ( of which original engine I assume did not have a cooler )

Maybe my setup is okay as is and I have a problem with current gauge or sender, but I'm thinking maybe the ones I have currently just aren't communicating very well.

Any help appreciated!!

Thank you

Check the connection at the sender, they are notorious for becoming loose. Also any fraying of the wire.

The sender on the 87 2F looks to be aftermarket, as it utilizes a screw that actually threads into the sender, vs the pig tail with blade that slides over the oem sender.

I tried this:

Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 1.29.28 PM.png

On this cruiser and another project cruiser I have.
The bulb came on when grounded ( meaning I assume the connection through ignition is not compromised )
But I saw zero gauge needle deflection on either gauge ( the project cruiser & the one I've asked about above )
Either I'm doing it wrong or maybe both gauges are toast LOL

Last edited:
Hi all -- My 77 FJ40 has an 87 FJ60 2F in it by the previous owner.

The oil gauge on instrument cluster is original to the 77, and does not register oil pressure.
I have seen it move on startup, inconsistently -- sometimes not at all -- but always settles at the low mark and doesn't move after that.

In searching for this issue, I read somewhere that it's possible that the gauge and the sender need to match.
So my question is this: what sender do I need to make an 87 FJ60 engine ( with oil cooler ) show accurate pressure on a 77 gauge ( of which original engine I assume did not have a cooler )

Maybe my setup is okay as is and I have a problem with current gauge or sender, but I'm thinking maybe the ones I have currently just aren't communicating very well.

Any help appreciated!!

Thank you

I have a similar set up in my 1977 FJ40. I use the 83520-55010 (replaced by 83520-55011) OEM oil pressure unit that is called for my 77's original part to match the gauge.

The sender needs to be adequately grounded to the block and the block needs to adequately grounded to the frame/negative battery terminal, as well.

If I had to make a WAG I'd say the sender in there now resembles this POS cheap sender that can be had on ebay... so maybe step one is karate chop that junk outta there!! haha

Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 1.35.55 PM.png

@middlecalf if I do the FSM light test ( and bypass the sender altogether ) as above -- and I get bulb illumination but no gauge needle movement, that means...... wires to gauge via ignition are good? But gauge is not?

This rig could have BOTH components of the system ( gauge / sender ) compromised I really don't know for sure.

What does step #2 say?

I should mention out of courtesy that this FSM information came from an @bj40green thread on the topic -- so thank you wherever you are!

Thank you @GA Architect -- I think I'm understanding -- your later 2F sender wasn't talking to your early gauge until you made the part switch?

When I planned my '86 2F engine rebuild and install, I was told to reinstall all the '77's attachments. Thus the original style '77 OEM oil sending unit was screwed in. I never tried the '86 sending unit, so I'm not sure if it would play nice with the '77 gauge or not.

Here is where my oil pressure typically sits, and has been since I installed the '86 2F in 2015.

IMG_2072.jpg

I have an 87 2F installed in my 76 FJ40 with OEM 76 sender and gauges. Seems to work great but reads a little higher than GA Architects does when running.

When the new sender gets here, What are y’all using the seal the threads, considering it grounds through contact?

Thanks for the info y’alls. Especially those with confirmation to run the two components matched. i did a light test on the crappy cheapo sender and no joy. So I cannibalized a 77 harness that had an oem oil sender dangling from it. Cleaned up, threaded in, reconnected wire and voila, oil pressure on gauge in cab showed up. Pic is what NOT to run in your 2f.....from my experience. Thank you PO ;)

997CCC81-CCB6-4CAC-9891-9F8C4FC7C679.jpeg

When the new sender gets here, What are y’all using the seal the threads, considering it grounds through contact?

Don't forget Ash to install the new Reproduction OEM-Type oil pressure sender rubber repair boot kit also ,

it's gonna be Cold Climate Arctic Spec. soon out in your region destination market in the Rockies ..

keep that new little guy snug , and happy like all his 8/80- later friends are ...........:idea:

87C8C396-A98A-43E3-8044-0E6A85649914.jpeg
603706CD-6440-409E-A0EB-501FA03B3B67.jpeg

1602312078213.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom