Oil Pressure Issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
From reading and searching this site I have seen many mentions of the 40 oil pressure gauge having a tendency to break and/or give inaccurate readings. My new 76 40 is registering very low according to the gauge i.e. never gets above L in any condition. The truck runs like a top.

Where can you manually check the pressure and what do I need to do about the gauge i.e. replace sending unit/gauge/both?

Thanks.

Juke

I believe the gauge is inaccurate even when new, so I would get an autometer or other aftermarket gauge if your truly concerned. My factory gauge never gets above the L except whwn first started up, it goes about 1/3 the scale. When idling at running temp, the gauge is a hair above the low line, even theough my autometer says I have 12 psi at 800 rpm. Around 25-30 at 1800-2000 rpm's. An aftermarket gauge is very easy to hook up, a few hours and around 50 bucks should do it. Good luck.

Thanks arch.

I assume AA (not my Friday meetings) is a good place to get it.

AA=Advance Adapters? I'm sure they sell it, but so do most car part dealers, Summit would be cheapest, hell, let me go look it up.....

Auto-meter Sport Comp, pn# ATM-3321, oil pressure gauge, 0-100 psi, $35.95. I run sport-comp series in my truck for the important stuff, so if you want to look at how they fit and look, come on by, your only 12 miles from my house. If you don't want to cut the dash, order a summit gauge pod, mounts under the dash so no stray holes, and has both a water temp and oil pressure gauge for only $17.99, pn# SUM-G2924, mighty cheap really. If your concerned of your pressure, then for this cost, peace of mind could be had for very little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom