Oil Pressure Gauge Up & Down (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know why the oil pressure gauge would go up when accelerating and then down when slowing down. Well, that's what my LC does, actually for a while now.

To mitigate, I recently changed the oil, all fluids and valve gasket.

Thanks!

oil pressure is directly related to RPM, if you are lower than the low mark on the gauge when driving I'd worry, but if you are close to the top of the normal range while driving and at the bottom of the normal range when idling you ought to be fine.

MIne does the same thing and it is all related to RPMs, like tblume said. AS long as it isn't dropping when you are in the gas,t hen you shoudl be fine.

yes, of course, the oil pump.

Mine tops off a hair over the 2/3 (or is it 3/4?) line regardless of rpm above that. Presumably where the pressure relief valve kicks in...

Thanks!

Yes, it increases as I drive faster then decreases as I slow down. But, it doesn't go to a low point when idle. Should be okay then. Thanks!

the absolute level of pressure you'll see on the gauge will also depend significantly on the weight of the oil. When I switched to 15W40 there was a big jump up in pressure, as expected.

Read the owners manual. It explains the oil gauge behaviour and acceptable ranges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom