Oil pressure gauge stopped working. FJ80, where to start? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pskhaat

Tourer
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
alamosa.mobi
Is this a commin/easy problem to fix? Where might I start in troubleshooting? Assume resistance at the sending unit?

And...where is the sending unit on the 3FE?

750810F3-6C87-4660-8AFF-C6A6D4F476A1.jpeg

look down below your oil filter and the oil pressure sending unit is just a tid below that with 2 wiring connectors. Use some homemade wiring to test if the gauge or sender is working, mine was..so you can either fab up a new wiring and connector for it or go to this site and purchase a new harness with new connectors. If the sender was faulty, get a new sender..
Late Modle Toyota Double Wire w/ 2nd Ground Tab style Oil Pressure Sender switch Wire Harness Connector Repair Kit w/ Ground Tab FJ40 FJ60 FJ62 - VintageTEqParts.com

Hi, I agree with above,however if the wires shorted against the block the gauge is fried. Mike

In my experience, the sender is the first to go. Other causes are of course possible. Use an OEM sender if you do wind up replacing it. Aftermarket just do not last.

Mine was a broken wire that had grounded on the block and fried the gauge. Given that your gauge needle sits below the bottom mark, it's likely it's fried (from what I've seen I think normal gauges sit at the bottom mark when off), but wait there's hope! I wrote a thread (see link below) chronicling my repair of the gauge. IIRC my thread goes over the initial tests from the FSM to determine if it's the gauge or sender first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom