Oil pressure gauge killed? Help, please! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi

(Disclaimer, I have searched!)

So my lovely 1980 HJ45 (24volt) threw the engine, nothing major, I put a 2H and a H55F in instead, some mods were neccesary, like changing some wiring for the oil pressure gauge and EDIC oil pressure switch as they are on opposite sides on the H and the 2H.
While doing that I mixed up which was which and connected the oil pressure gauge wire to the oil pressure switch. And while trying to rectify my mistake I shorted the oil pressure gauge wire to the engine several times to see if the gauge worked. It looked like it did, but I cannot geat a reading!

I have tried different senders, checked wires, even started the engine without the sender in place (messy!!!!) just to be sure there's oil pressure, there is!!!

If I short the oil pressure gauge wire the needle goes to the top, so some action is still there, it's even possible to get tiny sparks when shorting it to the engine, but no regular reading!!! I hate driving my truck without some indication of oil pressure.

From reading through several posts here I get some info that shorting the gauge wire kills the gauge, is that true?

Please help!

Yes, you killed the gauge. At least with the diesel you don't need to worry about producing sparks under the hood.

Damn!!! I thought they worked like every other I know, by regulating the ground...
What did I do wrong. What in their construction renders them so fragile?
Can I repair it?

You are right about the sparks, but they were miniscule, almost un-"seeable"

Bump for a bit more help please?

Ok, bummer! :frown:

Does anybody have a spare oil pressure gauge? I have been looking in the classifieds, on Ebay etc, but nothing turns up, and I really hate driving it without some kind of indicator of oil pressure...

Does anybody have a spare oil pressure gauge? I have been looking in the classifieds, on Ebay etc, but nothing turns up, and I really hate driving it without some kind of indicator of oil pressure...

could you just add a mechanical guage temporarily until you locate the proper guage?

Thanks for the replys.

Lostmarbles, I c/p yours back below because it's just as valid to 24v as to 12v:

You might have better luck sourcing a complete second-hand gauge-cluster. (That's what I've done for my BJ40.)

But ..... I'm not yet convinced that you've really stuffed your oil gauge.

Distance-based fault-diagnosis can seldom be "concrete" IMO no matter who's doing it (myself included).

A new sender unit is cheap enough. (Roodogs on Australian eBay for instance.)

So replacing the sender would be my first try if I was in your shoes.

:cheers:

You are right, And I am looking for one. I have tried two different sending units with the same result, so I'm rather convinced I stuffed the gauge.

3_puppies I might just add a warning light, I have a few of those senders sying around...

About the whole 12 -24 volt thing, I'm not sure wether or not it matters, a lot of gauges doesn't care, like almost all VDO ones...

Christian,
There are still some out there, I reckon.
I picked up a brand new OEM 24v oil pressure gauge for a friend here last year - he needed it for his BJ in Tunisia.
It came from a Canadian out west who has a connection in South America.
It took a while to get it to me here in Saudi and I want to say it cost about $60.
If you ask around in the western Canada forums, you might get lucky - sorry that I lost his contact.
cheers

Lostmarbles, I c/p yours back below because it's just as valid to 24v as to 12v:

You might have better luck sourcing a complete second-hand gauge-cluster. (That's what I've done for my BJ40.)
But ..... I'm not yet convinced that you've really stuffed your oil gauge.
Distance-based fault-diagnosis can seldom be "concrete" IMO no matter who's doing it (myself included).
A new sender unit is cheap enough. (Roodogs on Australian eBay for instance.)
So replacing the sender would be my first try if I was in your shoes.

You are right, And I am looking for one. I have tried two different sending units with the same result, so I'm rather convinced I stuffed the gauge.

3_puppies I might just add a warning light, I have a few of those senders sying around...

About the whole 12 -24 volt thing, I'm not sure wether or not it matters, a lot of gauges doesn't care, like almost all VDO ones...

You must have been fast to capture what I wrote before I deleted it Christian :clap: (I deleted it once it sunk in that your cruiser is 24V and therefore that the Roodogs senders are likely to be unsuitable.) My post must have only sat there for a few seconds at most!

Roodogs give the toyota part number as 83520-55011 for your vehicle model. But being an Australian vendor they obviously base their offerings on the "Australian Market" .. which is basically 12V.

And looking up Toyota data, I see they do list 83520-55011 as the sendor for the 12V Australian market but they list a different one (83520-55020) for the 24V European Market. So the different part numbers don't support the opinion that the 12V and 24V senders are interchangeable.

But assuming the 24V stuff isn't available new from Toyota, I'd still expect 24V senders and gauge clusters to be found on the used market (from vehicle wreckers).

Quite a few 24V cruisers have been imported into New Zealand (for instance) as used-imports and some of these are now appearing in wrecking yards with little demand for their 24V componentry.

PS. If you're like me .. you will want OEM (or OEM look-a-like)rather than aftermarket.

I could clame fame to superfast dexterity on the keyboard ;)
But the real truth is that I get a mail each time somebody adds something to this thread, and everything posted is in the mail, so it's just a matter of c/p from the mail, I hope it's ok though! :D

I have tried several senders without luck, so it isn't the sender, and by the way I googled your numbers and as far as I can see they are interchangeable? It would make sense since its only a pressure sensitive resistor...

Btw thanks for taking your time to look up the numbers!!! :cheers:

I am exactly like you, I just found an original licenceplate holder for the front and eventhough it looks kinda clumsy, even out of place, it's original and stays there!

But we do not have many of these trucks left unfortunately. They all ended their lives in gravel pits being rolled, banged or just driven to pieces by the 4wd crowd years ago, or have been experted to Africa.

So there's no scrapyards with pieces here unfortunately... I have a list of desirables that are impossible to find here... And Ebay doesn't seem to have the same amount of odd and exiting stuff anymore...

Besides the oil pressure gauge I would love to get my hand on an original tach, the original side vents, a new PTO box for my 5spd etc. so I keep looking...

... I googled your numbers and as far as I can see they are interchangeable? It would make sense since its only a pressure sensitive resistor.....

Why do you say they appear interchangeable Christian? (Where are you looking to see the same units listed for both 12V and 24V vehicle models?)

I can understand that a simple switch will be interchangeable between 12V and 24V models .... Such as the one I have on my vacuum reservoir for instance (that activates an audible alarm if I lose vacuum) .... or the one on my oil cooler (that tells my EDIC to shut down my engine if I lose oil pressure).

But an "oil-pressure" or "coolant-temperature" sender (that operates by "varying resistance" or whatever) should be "voltage-dependant" in my view. Because these things actually "draw/use current" and higher voltages tend to force higher currents to flow. And excessive currents can cause overheating and burning-out.

(There are reasons why 24V units shouldn't give proper readings when installed on 12V cruisers too IMO.)

:beer:

PS. I'm told some 24V canadian cruisers got some weird (I'd even go so far as to use the adjective.."mickey-mouse") wiring where they have 12V components (headlights and perhaps some dash components). So perhaps some of these 24V cruisers could use 12V senders .... I wouldn't know.

I simply googled the numbers and looked at the aftermarket vendors who has them, they list what original numbers they replace, and both numbers are among them. Here's an example:
Oil Pressure Sender Unit 83520-55011 TOYOTA

The sender can easily be the same in both 12 and 24 volts while difference lies in the meter in the dash IMO.

I simply googled the numbers and looked at the aftermarket vendors who has them, they list what original numbers they replace, and both numbers are among them. Here's an example:
Oil Pressure Sender Unit 83520-55011 TOYOTA

The sender can easily be the same in both 12 and 24 volts while difference lies in the meter in the dash IMO.

I see what you mean with that site Christian. From what they say one would certainly expect the senders to be the same.

But I think a more likely explanation is that this vendor and others simply don't know what they're talking about. (ie. I think they are ignorant about the 12V/24V vehicle variations.)

If those 2 senders were really the same, I'd expect Toyota to use the same part number.

In fact Toyota are super-helpful with their part numbers.

For example if they modify a part slightly they will show the interchangeability by changing the part number by just one digit. For example if 83520-55011 was interchangeable with another part, it would likely be numbered "83520-55010" . (And if that number exists, you'd find that 83520-55011 superseded 83520-55010 with there being some minor difference between them ... such as one with an earthing tab/spade and one without.)

Anyway that's my opinion .... I wonder if anyone else will chime in and prove me wrong.

PS. I acknowledge that some people say they've been using 12V senders on 24V cruisers but I wonder "For how long?" and "how accurate are the gauge readings?".

You could be absolutely right, the best thing for me though is to get another gauge, since I've already tested two senders that I knew worked...

PS. I acknowledge that some people say they've been using 12V senders on 24V cruisers but I wonder "For how long?" and "how accurate are the gauge readings?".

I don't care for accurate right now ;), I would just like an indicator of pressure other than relying on the EDIC to stop the engine if I loose it... That could end :crybaby:

Do junkyards where you are have a lot of old cruisers?

....Do junkyards where you are have a lot of old cruisers?

No. I don't know of any professional junkyards here that are worth contacting for 40-series parts.

But there are one or two private individuals that appear to wreck a few cruisers (probably as a sideline activity).

Trademe is our equivalent to eBay and they usually sell their stuff there.

For instance here's someone advertising parts for a 2B engine on trademe (and this 2B must be 24V and must have arrived here as a "üsed import from Japan").

Toyota 2b Diesel Parts for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

:beer:

Lostmarbles: I must keep a lookout - especially for the elusive tach and split case PTO. What may be standard one place can be really rare and exotic in another...

Cruiserheads: I have the exact samer suspisions... If you find out please let me know!!!

My info says that the 2B engine I pointed to on Trademe should have had the same 24V oil-pressure sender as yours (83520-55020) if the 2B engine was made from August 1980 to January 1983 (which is highly likely.)

But it would have had 83520-60020 if made from Jan 1983 to October 1984. (And I'm not sure what the difference between these senders is but I'd expect there to be one.)

However Hotrodda (the vendor) is unlikely to know the exact production date and I don't even know whether the sender is still on what remains of his motor.

Sad to say .... I've had my fingers burnt so I don't offer to help anyone obtain used parts from my country ..... (You're on your own if you want to try. .............. I'm thinking ... perhaps he has the 24V instrument cluster?)

The point of all this blurb .... is just to make it clear that... no matter where you are in the world .... you can always get what you're after if you do a bit of research, have a lot of patience and maybe take some minor risks.

PS. I acknowledge that if the dash voltage were to be stepped-down to 12V then a 12V sender would suffice. But the different sender part numbers don't support this premiss.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom