Oil pressure gauge all over the place? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

My oil pressure gauge on my '83 60 has been known to do it's own thing from time to time, but since last week it's an every day occurence. It used to be that it just wouldn't work, every once and a while. But now, daily, it's all over the board, either being normal (at about the half way mark) or low or sometimes not registering at all. And all this can occur just driving to work. I am worried about my oil pump going out. Is there a direct link between the two? How could I confirm that the oil pump is going out? I'm also not sure where to look in the engine for a loose wire, if that's a possiblity. Thanks for any help. If it's just a freaky gauge I'm okay with that.

oil sender is an electrical connection between the sending unit screwed in the block and the gauge. Effectively, the sender sends a ground signal...100% ground equals a pegged gauge. I'll bet three things:

1) loose wire on the sender or gauge - easy fix (corrosion)
2) the wire between the sender and the gauge is worn thru and contacting a metal point.
3) (least likely) the sender is junk

Thanks Woody....

....So you don't think it's got anything to do with the oil pump? How do you know for sure when your oil pump goes out? I've never seen it happen.

When your engine stops turning, you will know that your oil pump went out.

If you are concerend about this, I would get to the bottom of your indicator issue soon.

Good luck!

-Steve

Disconnect the wire from the sender on the block, use a probe and touch the wire to ground. You should see it peg like Woody said. When you take off the wire, You might see that it needs cleaning or its damaged.

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom