Oil Pressure gage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just put in a new oil pressure gage and reconnected it and it pegs out high immediately. Any suggestions about what I did wrong, or how I can fix it? Thanks.

Unplug the wire at the sending unit (on the oil cooler/filter) and start the truck. If gauge reads zero, then problem is sender.
If guage still pegs, then problem is wire harness or gauge.

Make sure the sensor wire is connected to round terminal in center of sender, not the ground spade on body of sender!

Do not operate truck w/ gauge pegged, permanent gauge damage will result.

FJ40Jim said:
Make sure the sensor wire is connected to round terminal in center of sender, not the ground spade on body of sender!

:bounce:this is critical advice:bounce:

Easy mistake to make!! I shorted out my oil dash gauge by mistakenly reconnecting the sending wire to the grounding spade after accidentally knocking it loose while changing out the fuel pump. Didn't see it come off and it's not immediately apparent that it should go on the circular stud -- looks like it belongs on the spade (and it fits there too). Why Toyota didn't spec a connector that was shape specific is beyond me.....:confused:

Will also help to disconnect the negative battery cable at the terminal to prevent the possibility of shorting out while doing this or any electrical work if you haven't done so already.

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

Thanks for the help, the wire looks like it was connected to the spade and not the center pin, I tried to disconnect the wire and plastic piece, but the wire just pulled out of the connector. Is the connecter supposed to come off, or do I just wrap the wire around the round pin and place the cover back on? Thanks again for the advice, as it says by my nonexistent avitar, I am a rookie!

Thanks

anatomyguy said:
Thanks for the help, the wire looks like it was connected to the spade and not the center pin, I tried to disconnect the wire and plastic piece, but the wire just pulled out of the connector. Is the connecter supposed to come off, or do I just wrap the wire around the round pin and place the cover back on? Thanks again for the advice, as it says by my nonexistent avitar, I am a rookie!

Thanks

No-It's supposed to have that plastic/brass connector to attach the wire to the center pin. I hope you didn't damage the guage. Think of it as a good learing experience. No one else on this board has done everything perfectly, why should you be any different? Good luck.

D'Oh - Oil Pressure Gone

This just happened to me.

I plugged the Oil Sending Unit into the spade and not the round brass portion.

The oil pressure SPIKED to High. I drove to work and looked up threads on Mud.

I walked down to my truck, swapped the plug to the correct terminal and started it up.

Now the gauge reads ZERO and does not move at all.

Is my gauge toast?

Does a gauge from a FJ62 fit into a 60?

A little more search

Yup, looks like I fried my gauge.

Plug in wrong

and

This one

But, the first question still stands.
Is a 62 Oil Gauge the same as a 60?

I did this too.

The 60 gauge works the same as the 62, they are just styled a little differently.
60 vs. 62.JPG

Great pics

Thanks.

I think I am going to try fixing the oil sending unit. It looks like the cheaper and more straight forward fix.
If that does not work, I will pull the cluster & replace.

Looks like FJ40Jim in the earlier part of this thread says it might just be the OPSU.

Yes, plugging the wire to that grounding spade is lethal to the dash unit. A local mechanic did mine for me. Cruiser Dan's price: Dash gauge: $70.33, Sending Unit: $40.11 (plus shipping.)

If it was plugged into the spade lug the gauge is now toast. The sender will still be fine.

Besides the cost changing the gauge is not that hard.

Former gauge killer, Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom