oil pan ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, after screwing this up several times, any of you out there have tips on how to put the oil pan and gasket back on WITHOUT misaligning the two curved end pieces? Mine pours oil out, obviously I've done something wrong. I 'tacked' the gasket on with permatex 'glue/sealer and it seemed to hold, but results tell.
The first time I did not use a gasket, just permatex Right Stuff. I guess I didn't get enough in those two curved end areas.

I want to try one more time.

Should I stick the gasket to the engine and then slip the pan on, or.......

You didn't mention whether you were using the 1 piece gasket or the 4 piece o shiet gasket! You can tell which one I prefer.;) As you've already discovered, the only thing worse than doing this job is........... doing it over again.:doh:

Should I stick the gasket to the engine and then slip the pan on...

YES. That's the only way to make sure the gasket sits in the main bearing caps properly. Trying to keep the gasket up until you can position the oil pan in place is the bear. Best to have a second pair of hands for starters. Also, if you have some 8mm studs [like carb mounting studs] you can use for provisionally aligning the gasket and pan, you can spin them back out once the pan is up and replace them with bolts.:idea:

65swb45 said:
the only thing worse than doing this job is........... doing it over again.:doh:

I've gotta do mine again and I'm not looking forward to it.

take off the front DS and the splash guards to make it easier to work around.

There is always FIPG :D

i use permatex high tack and put it to the engine, then quickly put the pan in place an snug the four corner bolts (snug, but now tight), screw in the rest of all the bolts enough that i know they are catching thread, then the cross pattern tightening.

3m rotolock with scotchbrite pads work great for cleanning gasket areas as baked on cork is a beatch to deal with.

I took the old blue silicon smeared it on the pan put the gasket on it pressed it down after lining up the holes perfect. Let it sit over night put another bead of silicon on the engine side of the gasket installed it no leaks

I use 3m weatherstrip adhesive in the corners. Apply a small bead to gasket and CLEAN oil pan. Allow to set-up (about 5mins) then set gasket in place. apply silicone to top of gasket, let skin over and install. If you have problems with the weather strip adhesive holding. use blue painters tape to hold it in place until adhesive sets up. Works everytime!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom