*&#@* oil pan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How in the hell do you get the oil pan off? :bang: i need to change the gasket and have given the friggin think 3-4 hours of work, and havent even gotten t to budge... ive tried a dremel with a sanding disk, paint scraper, pry bar, and screwdrivers :bang:. nothing seems to work. Help!

Use your screw jack, a 2x4 and your front axle housing.

Crawl under your rig will all of that and you will figure out how to position everything.

Put some tension on it and go to bed. It should pop off sometime in the middle of the night.

how could it leak if its on so tight? the great cruiser mystery!

Dynosoar:zilla:

Use your screw jack, a 2x4 and your front axle housing.

Crawl under your rig will all of that and you will figure out how to position everything.

Put some tension on it and go to bed. It should pop off sometime in the middle of the night.

Great idea there...:idea:

I just had my oil pan off today and removing it was the easy part IMHO... The pain in the **s for me was getting it back on and keeping the gasket in the right place. I even got a nice 1 piece gasket from Toyota and it still was a pain.:bang:

Be careful too.. The edge of the flange on it can be sharp...:doh:... I got proof on three of my fingers...:eek:

I've been asking myself the same thing... And I modified the idea a bit, put the Jack between the frame and the pan. I couldn't find a spot between the axle housing and the oil pan

Original pan gaskets turn into some super adhesive compound that can only be broken by beating, cussing, and fighting with it until it finally gives up.

It is still hard to explain to some people that it may be $300 to change a pan gasket if it decides to put up a fight.

ahhh it didnt go. where on the axle housing did yall put the jack?

With ll the bolts and nuts removed, you are creating a constant pressure with the jack.

You can use the frame rail or the axle housings. I prefer to use the axle housing since it is too easy for me to dent the pan pushing on the side of the pan when using the frame rail.

thats what I was thinking, but where on the axl,e housing is there enough room to fit the jack?

I used a very thin, bevel edged putty knife that I tapped in and worked all around the edge of the pan. Came out no problem. I have a write up in tech that may help.

I just had my oil pan off today and removing it was the easy part IMHO... The pain in the **s for me was getting it back on and keeping the gasket in the right place. I even got a nice 1 piece gasket from Toyota and it still was a pain.:bang:

Use studs in place of the bolts at the corners. Then it will all be lined up the second you put it on.

A while back, someone posted a pic of the bottle jack positioned in the way D'Animal suggests. I'll see if I can find it.

I did mine from the frame rail with alot of lateral pressure.

You want to put enough pressure laterally without deforming the oil pan.
I actually put pressure on and let it sit for a while, then turned the screw jack some more, let it sit then turned it some more and "POP" it came off!

The other cool thing once you get it off (and you will) is to use some Jasco paint stripper on the old gasket material. Let is sit for a couple hours and scrape away. Its not going to completly disolve it, but it helps. Then a 4 inch wire wheel works well to get the surface clean. Be careful not to get the Jasco on your skin!!

Also pay close attention to the gasket material left in the front and rear areas. I used a really thin chisel to whittle away the material.

Good luck and keep at itQ
Bryan

Glad to know that my method will work haha. I tightened it, let it sit overnight, tightened it this morning, and will tighten it again when I get home tonight. Hopefully it'll go soon, it's taking linger to do this then it dd to dothe entire head gasket replacement! And that includes getting the head machined

The gasket is already junk, just pound something in there and pry. You will get the chance to straighten it out before putting it back on should you deform it a little.

My write up in the tech section describes an easy method for holding the pan in place, that uses snapups.

attachment.php

Good luck.

No pic I can find but basically you place the base of the jack forwards, resting on the top edge of the third, with the piece of wood at the pan and tension the jack forcing it to pop off to the rear overnight. *You should not have to use so much tension that you would have to worry about damaging anything on the third. It'll just slide back breaking the seal usually.

Sometimes it can take a night or two with re-tensions in between, always checking to be sure the base of the jack hasn't shifted and the block of wood is preventing you from denting the pan.

Making sense?

My write up in the tech section describes an easy method for holding the pan in place, that uses snapups.

attachment.php

Good luck.

Where do you find these? I looked for your write-up and couldn't find one.

Use studs in place of the bolts at the corners. Then it will all be lined up the second you put it on.

An easy way I do it is to tie the gasket on with small pieces of string in every other hole. Install it. Loose bolt fit it in the ones without strings. Then cut all the strings off, pull them out and install the other bolts. Works great every time and keeps the gasket postioned perfectly. Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom