*&#@* oil pan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have an old 1" wood chisel that is reserved just for prying off stuff like Oil pans and Diff covers.

The stud method worked great for putting mine back on.

I also highly recommend cleaning out the block threads either with a thread chase or regular tap. I use liquid wrench to lube the tap or thread chaser. Follow this by a good blast with brake cleaner. I do this with almost everything I take apart that is exposed to mud, dirt and road sludge.

JLH911, the oil pan gasket replacement write up is under tech links, in the engine/fuel section. The snapups are made by Felpro. Much easier and faster than bolts.

Where/what is "tech links" I thought I was in the tech section? This oil pan is the most aggravating job I have ever attempted. Out of all the repairs/maintenance fixes I have ever done on a car, this is by far the most agravating thing I have ever done. All just to replace an oil pan gasket???? This is ridiculous. Could they not have designed an easier way to get this D#$%& thing off? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

They are painful but with some time it will come off. I use a jack and some 2x4's to take it off. The real pain for me is to get the gasket off of the bottom of the block.

Where/what is "tech links" I thought I was in the tech section? This oil pan is the most aggravating job I have ever attempted. Out of all the repairs/maintenance fixes I have ever done on a car, this is by far the most agravating thing I have ever done. All just to replace an oil pan gasket???? This is ridiculous. Could they not have designed an easier way to get this D#$%& thing off? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

the tech links link is up at the top of the page...

I just found the wiki page the other day, and now these tech links...I am amazed.

if the jack does not work, use your heat gun! works like a charm!!!

or, secure the pan to the floor with chains/straps and vice grips, and jack the car up.
or secure it with no air in front tires, and put tention on it by filling up the tires again. then get a thin blade in between.

easyest way to have the rest of material removed is wire disc, on drill. wont throw the debris as far as a grinder.

But again, my best method for this, is an hot air gun! if you dont have one, borrow one.
if you cant borrow one, use dollys hairdryer and be patient.

I ended up using the bottle jack against the passsenger side rail and the pan, and slowly pushed it off. it just went one day. make sure to put a 2x4 between the jack and the pan to help keep from destroying it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom